[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
History of Westeros • View topic - Brandon Sanderson's The Stormlight Archive

Brandon Sanderson's The Stormlight Archive

Fantasy, sci-fi, historical, non-fiction, whatever you've been reading lately!

Brandon Sanderson's The Stormlight Archive

Postby Webswinger » Wed May 14, 2014 7:04 pm

I heard Ash and Azizal talking about this series on the last podcast. I really want to know what people here think about it. I think its great but, boy is there a lot to absorb.
Webswinger
Novice

House:

Re: Brandon Sanderson's The Stormlight Archive

Postby McDougal » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:30 pm

I finished A Way of Kings just the other day, I brought it on Ashaya and Aziz's recommendation (not personal, just mentions on their videos and blogs etc) so thanks guys:) I really liked it. It was bold, vibrant and very absorbing!

That said I did find a few things a little, not irritating just niggling perhaps.
The pacing of the locations and character one off chapters, in that if he's planning ten books or something we'd hopefully have time to explore the world of Roshar, but he threw in so many one off glimpses of all these places that I just felt a little bored? There's no mystery to the world if you reveal it all in your first book!

Similar to the above I think Sanderson doesn't handle revelations very well, this is not universal as some things surprised me but a lot more underwhelmed me in the way they were so bluntly explained by characters in quite a deus x machina way. Which really kinda spoils the mystery. I'd have preferred if he'd allowed some of the mysteries to stew a little longer in my brain. Of course there are remaining mysteries but it doesn't leave meconfident in his ability to reveal them well! Like at the rate he's going we'll probably learn who Odium is in the next book! and if we don't...then the books might drag as he wont keep up the pace he's established.

I also felt the writing was...well a little average at times.

HOWEVER I did really love the book! I thought the characters were great, pretty whitewashed perhaps in that they're all goodies haha! But these are just things that weighed on my mind when i finished it.
McDougal
Novice

House:

Postby McDougal » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:32 pm

Sooooo I've just finished Words of Radiance today! Wow was it good! Like really good!
Buut I also have more problems as well as compliments haha.

SPOILERS AHEAD

Lets get the bad out of the way!
Number one, it has to be the length! THIS BOOK IS TOO DARN LONG. I think it's annoying and tbh just plain lazy, when a writer writes so freely there's no pressure on them to mold the ideas they have into a perfect form. For example while both GRRM and Rothfuss write very long books I generally feel most of the time they've really tried to compress the information. I'm aware that they're not infallible but I just didn't get the feeling Brandon was trying at all. This book could have been much more compressed, probably the same if not less than 'A Way of Kings'.

Does anyone else not like Wit? I find him really annoying, especially since he kind of breaks the 4th wall of reading and I found it really jarring and felt that it really like clashed with the tone and feel of the book as a whole. it's almost like Brandon's writing him as this Doctor Who ish character! It may be that he'll develop as a character and I'll see a point to all the things I dislike about him but until then I will be unhappy. Also did anyone else get the hint that he might be a Herald at the end of the book? Last angry point the bit when he was talking about bunny rabbits really got to me. There has been no reference to Rabbits in this world at all. If they existed I'm sure they would be lucrative pets. So why undermine your own original world by referencing something that doesn't exist in it! ahghsrjgfkd

Overall I thought the book and the story as a whole suffers from too much variation of quality. I really like Shallan for example but I found some of her chapters to be the most unbearable, ie her first meeting with Khalidin, but then a chapter later all my problems would resolve themselves in the most dramatic way possilbe, ie killing Tyn. I also think Brandon uses things like her discussion of Adolin 'pooping' in his armour as a way of showing how young they are. While light hearted and amusing I think there are better ways of getting the characters youth across to the reader. Less simple, crude and immature.

On to the good points
I thought Taragovonian was fascinating and an incredibly original idea for a character (I have no idea if it is his original idea but kudos anyway), I think his chapter was the best out of the entire book tbf! It made me want to learn more about the Nightcrawler!

I thought the pacing of the book was quite good in that it had rising moments of addrenaline pumping reading throughout followed by more reflective periods. Adolin's epic Shardblade duel definitely being a highlight, although I thought the momentum fizzled out somewhat towards the end.

Eshonai was a great addition and the Parshendi position was really interesting. I think it was a first class effort in humanising the enemies in what looks to be shaping into an epic conflict.

However I have thought of a few more issues! Building on my thoughts on A Way of Kings I felt my fears that he would continue to mishandle the 'big reveals' validated, we learnt a lot more this book but we also didn't learn a lot of answers that felt like they were just hanging around, the elephants in the room. For example in Eshonai's chapters her POV steered awkwardly clear of the real motivations behind Gavilar's assassination, clearly because they tie in too much with Amaram's motives and actions which will clearly be expanded upon in the future! I found it frustrating to have so much information laid plainly at your feet but then to have numerous secret societies, Ghostbloods, Skybreakers, the Constable and Taragavian all with their own mysteries and secrets. It just felt a bit ridiculous to me.

Final thoughts and questions, when did Shallan meet Wit first? Because I missed this and was very confused, So I'd Love Someone's insight to that, as i'll be damned if I'm reading the book again!

Finally did anyone else read the book with absolutely no fear for any of the characters? Adolin was the only one I was worried about! This is mainly because aside from Shallan and Khal being main characters I felt that we still had to see Dalinar's backstory and the story behind his Wife and the Nightcrawler! So I kenw he didn't dieXD

Sorry that this is so long but it's SANDERSONS FAULT NOT MINE! I mean if a book gives you severe back pain just holding it, it doesn't bode well.
McDougal
Novice

House:

Postby Ash » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:39 am

. He's in all of the books set in the Cosmere.
Ash
Grand Maester

House:

Postby McDougal » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:18 pm

Hmm so I wasn't far off with Dr who. Damn

I think it's kind of cool...buuut I would prefer if it was a surprise to read all the books in the cosmere and realise that the same character was in them. Rather than have a character so out of place, like a secret nod to readers who've brought all his books.
McDougal
Novice

House:

Postby Thurion » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:47 pm

I'm in the middle of book two and I'm not sure how many more books I'll get through before I simply get bored with the series. Sanderson, to me, suffers from being an over descriptive writer like King or Jordan. He should show more than tell if that makes sense. But that aside, my main problem is that I only seem to care about Shallan and Kaladin. Maybe that will change later on.
“for there is no folly of the beast of the earth which is not infinitely outdone by the madness of men ”
― Herman Melville, Moby Dick
Thurion
Novice

House:

Postby Azizal » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:53 pm

I agree with a lot of the criticisms. My biggest complaint is that too many important characters that died came back, that can kill future tension.

I love the sprawling world, and am excited to see more of the Pure Lake and the living islands. Very glad to see a POV from the Parshendi.
Azizal
Grand Maester

Postby McDougal » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:14 pm

That's a really good point!

Has anyone seen the retcon Sanderson did for the end of Words of Radiance?

I recommend checking it out, in my opinion it's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard of.
McDougal
Novice

House:

Return to Literature