[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
History of Westeros • View topic - Retro gaming

Retro gaming

Forum games, video games, board games, whatever floats your boat.

Re: Retro gaming

Postby Azizal » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:12 pm

I enjoy reading about those classic games... I sure did spend a lot of quarters on Asteroids back in the early 80's. I think I spent the most on Galaga, though.
Azizal
Grand Maester

Postby SerKnute » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:31 am

Edd, fetch me a block.
SerKnute
Acolyte

House:

Postby Azizal » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:10 pm

I actually was aware of that cheat! I always though it had to be on the 1st or 2nd stages only... interesting. Wish I had known that back then.

I went over 1mil points in a game using the cheat, and it can't handle that score so it goes back to 0, but there are 7 zeroes (or 6, perhaps?) and the score would display with the extra zeroes in front.

So a score of 32000 would look like 0032000. I can't remember how it displayed the high score.
Azizal
Grand Maester

Postby SerKnute » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:51 am

That's awesome, I don't recall my score, I was more interested in the stage count, it totally freaked me out when it went back to stage one. By then it was like 4 am at the 7 eleven and I was like, hmmm, another 2 hours? :p

Then when I found the 'collection' game for Sony PS1 I think it was, of course I had to try it and it worked fine, I think I did it on another console as well that had Galaga as part of the Williams? Bally? collection.
Edd, fetch me a block.
SerKnute
Acolyte

House:

Postby Azizal » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:01 pm

Oh yeah that's right, it did go back to Stage 1, though you still had your shield icon things in the corner. iirc, the highest was at 50. There was a 1, a 5, a 10, 20 and the 50 I think.

Ahh memories.
Azizal
Grand Maester

Postby Steppricon » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:38 am

A hall to die in, and men to bury me. I thank you, my lords...but I spit on your pity...I am a knight...I shall die a knight
Steppricon
Novice

House:

Postby ArristanTheOld » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:29 pm

I downloaded a DOS emulator capable of slowing down my CPU so I could start playing my old copy of Might & Magic I again. Totally unplayable on a modern or even an old computer otherwise. Wish I had more time to waste on that... I still have my Atari 2600 too, though it does not work anymore. Not that I have TV with the kind of input that would be compatible with it anyhow (the little metal forks that slide under a screw-head that you then have to tighter to hold it there, whatever they were called). I used to download a lot of freeware gamnes off a local BBS you had to dial directly in to, back before there was a WWW to speak of. My dad had this crazy modem with recesses you had to push the two ends of your rotary phone handset into, then dial the BBS directly on your phone's own dial! DL'ed a lot of ASCII-graphics games and text adventure games similar (but way smaller or you would get timed-out every time) than the Zork trilogy games, which I also played A LOT. You can't do that anymore, because the solutions to all the puzzles are available online and not checking them is just idiotic - the Zork games are totally unfair without them. Funny thing is, I wound up buying the iTunes version, played them through quickly using online hints, and haven't started that app since. Unlike the pirated version I had on a 5 1/4" floppy disk in the 80's which cost me nothing yet led to months if not years of enjoyable trial-and-error gaming and never beating any of them. I thnk I had just as much fun with smaller freeware text adventures though, and I even wrote a couple in BASIC.

Oh, and the King's Quest series... OOOhh, animated graphics! I even played a little Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards, made by the same company, but only when my parents weren't watching...

My biggest waste of money on an arcade game ever was Karate Champ. Anyone else remember that one? you repeat the exact same series of moves (front flip, back flip, front filp, roundhouse kick; something like that) to beat every opponent immediately and never get hit, until you get to a certain level that as far as I know simply can't be beaten, which is how they got you to keep dropping quarters in there. There was a fun wrestling game arcade game too, can't remember the name but the first opponent was called "Insane Worrier" which was probably a hilarious mistraslation of "warrior". I kept coming back to thaqt one too for some reason. It certaibnly wasn't because I was any good at it...

I also wasted a lot of class time and quarters on Tetris and Willow in the campus arcade during my brief university stint
Tobho had learned to work Valyrian steel at the forges of Qohor as a boy. Only a man who knew the spells could take old weapons and forge them anew.

My videos - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyxrbU ... ENpVGbAjOw
ArristanTheOld
Novice

House:

Previous

Return to Games