[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
History of Westeros • View topic - Season 6 episode 8

Season 6 episode 8

Anything goes, so beware of spoilers.

Season 6 episode 8

Postby DonalWarren » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:19 am

Ok, this was a very underwhelming episode. Partially, because it could've been so much more. And not to mention the Tommen-Cersei-High Sparrow story has not gotten to the point of silliness. Not Sand Snake bad but it could be the weak point of the season. However Aryas storyline in Braavos completed on a high note.

How could they have improved the episode with little work?
-they should've had the Freys behind the massacre of the village. THe Freys had mentioned the Brotherhood stirring up the small folk so butchering a village would be a thing they would do. Sandor could come across the Brotherhood hanging Freys(a legit tie in to the books and a good gesture with no Stoneheart). Then join them as he did in the episode.
-Have the Blackfish escape with Brienne. Family Duty Honor. Ignoring Sansa is not a very Tully thing to do consider she is basically all he has left. However, as he escaped the Red Wedding, show runners may not have wanted him to have two escapes.
-At the very least, a short fight scene to give him a farewell like Barristan couldve improved the episode as well.

Now back to the Faith Militant storyline: what the heck is happening??? We have had:
-Tommen want Cersei to teach him to be strong
-And when the Tyrell's are about to put an end to the FM, High Sparrow pulls the end around with a converted Tommen and "Margie". Ok not a bad twist, but...
-Tommen clearly becomes nothing more than HS's sock puppet when he bans trial by combat denying the potential for Cleganebowl or at the very least the smashing of Loras or Lancel...Tommen seems to be overstepping a bit as Trail by Combat was used by many who a) can't get a fair trial or b) are faithful enough to "let the gods decide".
-I am disappointed that we only saw the one FM killed by the Mountain. There was literally nothing covering in the scene that we didn't see in the previews.
-if then end goal is painting Cersei into the corner so she has no recourse but to pull a coup, that could be interesting but it would need more IMO.
DonalWarren
Novice

House:

Re: Season 6 episode 8

Postby mcmnky » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:25 pm

Underwhelmed.

I like your idea that the "Brotherhood" killing the sparrows turns out to be Freys under a false flag. That makes so much more sense than just some rogue members. As it happened, my speculation about the Septon's story about taking orders tying in to the Brotherhood's orders...nope. That speech basically meant nothing, just words. The killing of the sparrows meant nothing, just killing. Even the Septon being hanged in the Sept was not some indication of the struggle between follows of the 7 and followers of R'hallor. It now appears that was just another random detail without any higher intention from the writers.

And wtf, but seriously, WTF is Brienne doing? Why sneak out the river door? Why not just walk out the front gate with the Tullys on their way to aid Sansa? As it is, she told 2 people about her mission--Jaime and the Blackfish. The Blackfish performed suicide by Lannister, and Jaime certainly isn't going to direct the Tullys north. So why wouldn't she seek out Edmure? Basically, no one was chasing her, so why was she sneaking away?

I'm looking forward to hearing how the podcast addresses Arya's storyline. Her different dress and hair style last episode? Not an indication that it wasn't Arya, but Jaqen in disguise...Nope. Just meaningless detail. Her drawing attention with bags of money and standing very visibly alone on a high bridge? Not a trap for the waif. Her gut wounds and subsequent survival? Nothing as fancy as a fake blood bag from her actor friends or some other ruse. Just good old fashioned plot armor.

And how does Arya get back to Westeros? Not on the run from the faceless men. Not as a faceless man on a mission. Not even in disguise after convincing the faceless men she is dead. Nope, just a good old, "I'm going home." "OK."

"OK?" OK? Apparently there are no consequences for failing out of faceless man school. Not even student loans. ;)

One decent explanation I've read is Arya was never intended to become a faceless man. From the beginning Jaqen's intention was to continue her training, just to focus her skills as Arya, but never with the expectation she could ever be no one. This is good in that it explains why she is now allowed to walk away. But it is also weak because there is no indication or foreshadowing this would be the case prior to the very moment she walks away.

On a whole I'd rate this episode one bowl of brown. Next week should be good eye candy with the battle of the bastards and perhaps dragons and dothlaki vs. the masters, but I don't expect much good in terms of character and plot.
mcmnky
Novice

House:

Re: Season 6 episode 8

Postby DonalWarren » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:45 am

Brienne said to Jamie that she would have to side with the Tullys if it came down to a fight. And she may have been waiting on orders from Sansa hence she stayed. Weak I admit but as Littlefinger says "Trust no one." And he wasn't talking Faceless Men here...
I thought I saw somewhere(and it may have been the Game of Thrones Ascent game) where Jaqen said "a girl will serve the many faced God by giving or receiving the gift" I take it to mean that the girl(Arya) can serve the many faced God without being No One.
DonalWarren
Novice

House:

Return to Season 6