[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
History of Westeros • View topic - Black Sails

Black Sails

There's other television besides Game of Thrones, right?

Black Sails

Postby SerKnute » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:46 am

Does anyone else watch this series on Starz?

I caught it last year and started watching and I really like it. Season two just ended so now we're waiting until next year.

It's a story about the pirates of Nassau and centers on a former Lieutenant in Her Majesty's Royal Navy named James McGraw who goes by the pirate name: Captain Flint. Although it does contain a lot of characters from Treasure Island I don't think the show follows the exact plot of the book.

I don't want to go into much detail right off the bat for people who haven't seen it but would be interested in talking shop about the series if anyone's interested.
Edd, fetch me a block.
SerKnute
Acolyte

House:

Re: Black Sails

Postby Azizal » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:29 am

Sean and I love the show. We're thinking of re-watching it after the big reveal in S2. So many things made sense that were either confusing or seemingly "off" before all that. Major perspective shift, followed by a great run of episodes to close out the season.

I have spoken to a lot of people who gave up on the show because of its weak start: it was full of silly sex and violence and didn't seem to be going anywhere. But around episode 5 it got good and stayed good. They got rid of all the gratuitous silliness and the plot became focused. The show has a great combination of tension and dilemma, i.e a lot of characters get put in really tough spots with regards to loyalty, greed and their own safety. There is a lot of character development, clever scheming, intrigue, and the filming itself is quite good. The show doesn't rely on action, and does a solid job with the action scenes it does have.

As you say, it is loosely based off of a combination of Treasure Island and real history, plus their own creativity.

P.S. Really looking forward to Ray Stevenson as Blackbeard in Season 3.
Azizal
Grand Maester

Postby SerKnute » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:59 am

Edd, fetch me a block.
SerKnute
Acolyte

House:

Postby LawHawk » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:38 am

Twice I have started a season of Black Sails, twice I have almost lost interest in it 3/4 of the way through the season, and twice I have been so happy with the finale that I'm committing to another season.

Putting this next part in spoiler text in case folks haven't heard about the casting of a new character for next season...
LawHawk
Novice

House:

Postby LawHawk » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:47 am

One more thing... can we talk about that action sequence in the finale? I was blown away. Once again, spoiler text in case anyone is going to watch it but hasn't yet...

Okay, I lied, one more thing...

Okay, I'm done.
LawHawk
Novice

House:

Postby SerKnute » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:56 am

Edd, fetch me a block.
SerKnute
Acolyte

House:

Return to Movies & Television