[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
History of Westeros • View topic - Godzilla

Godzilla

There's other television besides Game of Thrones, right?

Godzilla

Postby Webswinger » Mon May 19, 2014 3:39 pm

I saw it on Sunday and I can say I loved it. If you have fond memories of those old monster movies, but you just cant sit through the bad dubbing, and effects this movie is for you. The plot isn't winning any awards, but it is fun. There isn't much Godzilla until the last third, but boy when he does show up its a good time. My wife thought she was going to hate it, and came out wanting to see it again. This is your good old fashion summer blockbuster movie.
You have all the parts of a good monster movie. the "mad" scientist knowing that something is wrong and trying to prove it but no one will listen The scientist trying to study something that should be left alone, and finding out when its to late. The military trying to cover it up then kill it but not being able to. Then BIG BAD Godzilla coming in a wrecking shit. Like I said there are plot holes but hey its a freaking Godzilla movie not Shakespeare.
Webswinger
Novice

House:

Re: Godzilla

Postby vero38 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:30 am

thanks for sharing the great link.
vero38
Novice

House:

Re: Godzilla

Postby Logain » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:08 pm

I recently saw this flick too, I left the cinema with my arms up my sleeves doing my best 'zilla roars. I find this to be the most sincere endorsement of an enjoyable film, even if it makes me appear autistic to other cinema goers.

I came to this having only seen the 1998 remake, which is broadly considered to have been a total disaster that entirely missed the mark of what Godzilla is supposed to be (metaphor for nuclear weaponry, friend of humanity, power of nature etc). I should concede that I enjoyed that too when I first saw it, and although my under-developed child brain has gone through some changes there is a still a place in my heart for the spectacle of a massive dino going ballistic in New York.

So although I haven't indulged in the broader Godzilla back catalogue yet, from my limited understanding through reading various dedicated 'zilla sites and listening to Mark Kermode's (the definitive British film critic) reference his various experiences with the franchise I believe this is thematically closer to the mark.

The highs are largely there in moments of cinematographic spectacle. The air drop in particular was a beautiful piece. The scale of the creatures, their vastness in the environments they tear through demonstrates how well the CGI revolution has managed to overcome its earlier failings of detachment and lack of "weight" for lack of a better explanation. The film backs away from the baddie/goodie mentality of the monsters and makes them a naturally occurring phenomenon who are following their evolutionary goals. This is to be applauded, the behemoths are the stars of the film and they conform much more closely to the ideals that the original film-makers established in the conception of these creatures.

The lows really boil down to the fact that it's not exactly cerebral. It doesn't need to be, but the majority of the characters are really set dressing to the monsters, they frequently follow paths that seem written in stone, falling into the overly familiar tropes of military to civilian relations, and the "one good guy" one dimensional characterisation that infects so many blockbusters. It doesn't need to be tricky to be clever, it doesn't need to be filled with jargon to be smart, it just needs a bit of depth, so it isn't as though every other character is just waiting for the protagonist to show up and work his magic. "Extra-incompetence" to coin a phrase, is a way of capturing how everyone is constantly going about things in the wrong fashion until those we understand to be the goodies arrive to show them the error of their ways (only after some disastrous cost has already been incurred).

The other major failing is the way it was marketed. I understand that this is common across the majority of films being promoted by Hollywood, but the trailer is a bit off the mark as far as I'm concerned, it basically spits out the plot of the film in a disjointed explosion focused way, all the way up to the end credits. Blurgh, I only point this out to say the public deserves better in this regard. I want to be enticed to see a film, not have a synopsis presented to me and the suggestion made that I should pay to watch the filler in between.

So what, four thumbs up? This is a good blockbuster style film, it does the job of up-scaling the genre without doing anything too memorable with characterisation or dialogue. I think I watched this a month ago and I couldn't name a single character now. It's a piece of entertaining fluff that will not change your life but is probably worth your dime because despite its failings, it isn't overwrought or insulting to your intelligence which are the two tropes this manages to dodge. It is good fun, and that's why I like it.
Logain Ablar - Asha'man
Logain
Novice

House:

Return to Movies & Television