[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
History of Westeros • View topic - Episode Discussion (ASOIAF spoilers)

Episode Discussion (ASOIAF spoilers)

No spoilers for the season except for in the Spoiler discussion thread.

Re: Episode Discussion (ASOIAF spoilers)

Postby Saggins » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:43 pm

"Men will read all sorts of things into a knowing smile if you let them."
Saggins
Novice

House:

Postby texn » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:30 pm

well I still think that the chances of Jon and Brandon meeting and something not happening that influences the a vast portion of the story is slim. If they do meet, I feel it will have a lasting effect. And if that does occur, then it SHOULD tell us that Jon doesnt die in the book and lives to do the same once healed. Of course, I guess it is possible that HBO just says f it. We will make up our own story. Alas, Hollywood sucks.
texn
Novice

House:

Postby Saggins » Mon May 05, 2014 2:18 am

There's no justice like Hodor justice.
"Men will read all sorts of things into a knowing smile if you let them."
Saggins
Novice

House:

Postby DarrenT » Mon May 05, 2014 12:05 pm

Wow I wasn't expecting all of these things to get wrapped up so quickly. I thought Locke was going to be a way bigger problem.
DarrenT
Knight of the Forums

House:

Postby Steppricon » Mon May 05, 2014 12:29 pm

A hall to die in, and men to bury me. I thank you, my lords...but I spit on your pity...I am a knight...I shall die a knight
Steppricon
Novice

House:

Postby Vaxis » Mon May 05, 2014 1:00 pm

I'm loving the Dany plot this season, though the presence of a Meereen navy of 93 ships is somewhat interesting. Seems like a change for the future. That the Lannister mines are exhausted is also interesting, and a theory I have seen posited before. I suppose it will help bring the Iron Bank into a more important light. I was also happy to see Oberyn outside a brothel, and mentioning Myrcella and his eight daughters.

I find it a weak and predictable episode overall, but good setup for what is to come. Judging by the previews, Yara and Ramsay will clash alongside their men, which is going to be interesting to say the least. I don't like the change so far, but who knows how it will end?
The snowflakes are melting in your hair.
There are ghosts everywhere. We carry them with us wherever we go.
Vaxis
Hand of the King

House:

Postby DarrenT » Mon May 05, 2014 1:29 pm

A couple things I took away from this episode:

1) The North plotline is back on track. Bran and co will continue on and like Steppricon said, Jon gets to return triumphantly, giving him more cause to be named LC. Issuses I have with this plotline are, based on the timeline I don't think we'll see Mance attack the Wall this season and Stannis come North (especially since he is apparently in Braavos next episode). I'm guessing the climax of Jon's season will be Ygritte and Tormund's attack on the Wall. I also feel a bit sad for Ygritte's (lack of) plot in this season. We've only seen her very briefly since Jon's "betrayal" and the next time we see her is probably when she's killed. As for Bran, I guess the detour to Craster's was a way of giving that story a bit of substance before the Cave and, to me, definitely means no Coldhands.

2) Dany's plotline is pretty frustrating, as it was in the books for me. She has her army and her fleet, I feel the only reason she isn't going to Westeros right now is because George doesn't want her there until the fina showdown. Jorah even brings up that Westeros has never been more ripe for the taking. A boy King, the ruling family's army has been devastated by war, and a bunch of people who think that their King is a bastard and would likely join a true cause. I've always assumed Dany will abandon Meereen at some point...I don't know how she can undo thousands of years of culture in a few months, especially after she leaves.

3) The Lannister mines being dry is indeed a huge plot point. The crown owes both the Lannisters and the Iron Bank millions but since the Lannisters basicallly are the crown, I guess that debt gets forgiven because Tywin can't pay himself back. The Lannisters clearly need the Tyrells for their money but I wonder if the Tyrells figure this out and ally with the Iron Bank/Stannis as well.

4) Cersei's acceptance of Margaery seems to be a huge departure from the books. I think she was being sincere in this scene. She's already told Margaery to never touch her or call her sister again, so why play nice again? The only reason for this that I can think of is maybe Cersei thinks that once Margaery and Tommen renew the Lannister-Tyrell alliance she can weasel her way out of marrying Loras? I don't think this wedding will actually take place so unless Loras meets a bad end soon, I think this may be their angle.

5) Good set-ups with Lysa being a crazy bitch, renewing the disconnect between Arya and the Hound who were becoming a bit too chummy, the brief mention of the Sand Snakes.

6) Pod and Brienne were funny together. I think this duo might turn into another fan-favourite. Interesting to note that they are making for the Wall. I wonder if they make it there and what the consequences would be...

7) Is this the only episode with no Tyrion?? A dark day indeed.
DarrenT
Knight of the Forums

House:

Postby Steppricon » Mon May 05, 2014 1:35 pm

To Darren
We'll definitely get the battle for castle black, based on the title of episode 9 "the watchers on the wall", I think Stannis will send davos or davos will send sallidor to bravos, and we'll get no word of that until episode 9 when Stannis and his new army come riding in to save the day. And being episode 10 is "the children" that should be when we finally meet bloodraven
A hall to die in, and men to bury me. I thank you, my lords...but I spit on your pity...I am a knight...I shall die a knight
Steppricon
Novice

House:

Postby DarrenT » Mon May 05, 2014 1:54 pm

DarrenT
Knight of the Forums

House:

Postby Steppricon » Mon May 05, 2014 2:07 pm

I think it will be both, I think the show has a reputation to uphold with its episode 9s, and I've got the feeling tormund and ygrittes attack just doesn't have the wow factor that a two sided attack would have. Tv viewers are now craving these episodes, and an attack from the south with a few hundred wildlings just isn't as jaw dropping as a pincer attack from north and south
Steppricon
Novice

House:

PreviousNext

Return to Season 4