[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
History of Westeros • View topic - Visenya Targaryen (Spoilers)

Visenya Targaryen (Spoilers)

Novellas around the time of the Dance of the Dragons.

Visenya Targaryen (Spoilers)

Postby bstnsx704 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:26 am

Hello all. Not sure what the spoiler policy is, exactly, so I thought I'd label the topic. This post has spoilers for The Princess and the Queen and A Game of Thrones (though I think I can assume we've all read that one :P ).

Anyways, I finished reading TPatQ yesterday and I loved it. Lots of great information and history on the Dance of the Dragons. One of the bits of info that stood out to me the most came early on in the novella: the description of Rhaenerya's stillborn daughter Visenya. Visenya Is described as being" "twisted and malformed, with a hole in her chest where her heart should have been and a stubby, scaled tail." This is, of course, very similar to Mirri Maz Duur's description of Daenerys' son Rhaego in AGoT. Mirri says the following: “Monstrous. Twisted. I pulled him out myself. He was scaled like a lizard. Blind, with leather wings, like the wings of a bat. When I touched him, his skin fell from his bones. Inside, he was full of graveworms.”

Now I had originally thought that Rhaego was an isolated incident, perhaps due to Daenerys being the supposed last dragon or because of Mirri's blood magic, but that no longer seems to be the case. The way such a birth was presented in TPatQ, it seems to me that that is something that happens from time to time in the Targaryen line. It makes me wonder just how far back and how deep the connection between the Targaryens and dragons really goes, and whether it is a natural connection or something manmade (perhaps achieved through magic). I'm assuming that, whatever connection they share, it goes back to ancient times in Valyria. It will be interesting if we ever get to delve deeper into that past and see how, if at all, it affects the books to come.

So, do you guys have any theories?
bstnsx704
Novice

House:

Re: Visenya Targaryen (Spoilers)

Postby Stranger » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:47 am

I had the same idea but i also connected this to tyrion because the description except for the tail and the red viper of dorne said he heard he had a tail so maybe tyrion is aerys bastard
Stranger
Novice

House:

Postby bstnsx704 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:17 pm

Huh, interesting. I never really put much thought into the Tyrion description (the comments about him having a tail aren't really far off from him being referred to as "Imp" or "Demon Monkey" or any of the other insults and names that the nice people of Westeros have for him), though I have found myself wondering about the possibility of Targaryen blood in Tyrion. I'm not sure if I subscribe to the theory myself, but it is interesting to think about.
bstnsx704
Novice

House:

Postby sinsonte » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:34 am

Very interesting connections, bstnsx704 and stranger. All those three cases could be very well related. Maybe some venomous substance or a spell against the pregnant mothers (Dany-Rhaego case is clearly the latter).
The last possible scenario would be having sex with a dragon, and that's like... :o . That would be an ABOMINATION in Stannis' way of thinking :lol: . Just joking.
We're all part of this Song. Martin, nor your Song neiter you will ever die.
sinsonte
Novice

House:

Postby bstnsx704 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:09 am

bstnsx704
Novice

House:

Postby sinsonte » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:25 pm

It' a pity we won't probably know about other dragonlords. Unless Martin surprises all of us and gets deep into the History of Planetos, releasing material about the Age of Heros or the Doom. That would be great, but quite not likely.
We're all part of this Song. Martin, nor your Song neiter you will ever die.
sinsonte
Novice

House:

Postby bstnsx704 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:59 pm

Maybe a convenient weirwood will have been there the entire time, and Bran just happens to tap into it ;)

I would love to see someone in the series take a trip down to modern-day Valyria. It's where Euron claimed to have found Dragonbinder. Then again, it is Euron we're talking about. He's probably full of shit.
bstnsx704
Novice

House:

Postby TheQueenThatNeverWas » Wed May 14, 2014 11:34 am

I found this baby interesting as well, I'm not sure if I'm right about this one but the Targs in Princess and the Queen seem to hatch their dragon eggs quite easily, I mean they were just given an egg they spent time with and then a dragon baby is born. In some way I connected this with Dany spending time with the eggs and then hatching them, maybe this process had some implications like the deformed babies on both occasions.

However I have to mention that Dany is not fireproof, George said in an interview that this was an one time event. It is also unsure, whether they did lie to Dany about the baby, as well as whether the maester who wrote the Princess put some salt into the story.
TheQueenThatNeverWas
Novice

Postby DarrenT » Wed May 14, 2014 2:54 pm

DarrenT
Knight of the Forums

House:

Postby SerKnute » Sat May 17, 2014 2:04 am

Edd, fetch me a block.
SerKnute
Acolyte