Cast Aluminum House Hornwood Claok-Hook

Threads about ASOIAF art, memes, gifs, funny videos, other cool YouTube channels, as long as it is based on the books or show, it goes here!

Cast Aluminum House Hornwood Claok-Hook

Postby ArristanTheOld » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:30 pm

Stupid Photo-ducats is holding my IMG tags for a $400/year ransom, and I am not paying. All my links are broken! :(

Youtube still works though... Here is the first mold I have made and shaken out on my brand new homemade molding bench. No footage of the pour; I would have needed a tripod for that. Which would have meant I don't now have to repair my flask, as you will see in the video.

The molding bench is made of all recycled and reclaimed materials (the bin is a used plastic barrel a guy down the road was selling, and the lumber used to be my friend's old bed frame), as is the aluminum (old alloy car wheels) and the fuel used to melt it (used fryer oil from a local hockey arena canteen).

The bench turned out great. Holy crap is having a proper molding bench ever a lot more pleasant to work with than keeping all my sand in 5-gallon buckets, and having to move my bandsaw and belt sander off the patternmaking bench, and laying down a tarp to keep my sand from escaping, every time I want to make a mold!

So. Without further ado...

Cast aluminum House Hornwood cloak-hook!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7VgApAESs0

I guess it could also be a House Hornwood helm-topper... (I'll let the cosplayers out there be the judge of that). Or maybe I'll bolt it to the front grill of the car. Better yet, of Mrs. TheOld's minivan! :)
Nahhh, in reality I will probably attach it to the underside of the molding bench lid to hang molding tools on so they're there when I need them. But I can always make more...

Pic of finished hornwood themed cloak-hook: https://goo.gl/photos/gTecD9tRAWNBY2gGA

(I don't know how to get that to be an embedded image, I'm using google photos this way until I figure out a new hosting strategy for posting pix...)

If I may say so, my reproduction is much more nicely finished than the cheap cast iron original from overseas (very likely a knockoff of a North American casting that can no longer be sold by its legitimate producer at a competitive price as a result of this undercutting). The upside is: cheap practice patterns for me! The crude finish on the pattern also made it easier to identify the parting line the mold would need to have, since they hadn't bothered to grind most of the mold-line off the casting. This was my first mold with an irregular parting line, and also the first that was not molded from either a split or flat-backed pattern. ie. a challenge for my novice molding skills. It being iron was also helpful, as I was able to use a magnet to grab onto it, to draw it out of the mold, since getting my fingernails under it or something like that would have damaged the mold. I'm quite happy with the result!
Tobho had learned to work Valyrian steel at the forges of Qohor as a boy. Only a man who knew the spells could take old weapons and forge them anew.

My videos - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyxrbU ... ENpVGbAjOw
ArristanTheOld
Novice

House: Manwoody

Re: Cast Aluminum House Hornwood Cloak-Hook

Postby ArristanTheOld » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:39 am

Ack, just noticed I misspelled the thread title. Should not read "claok" hook. apologies for double post, seeing if this fixes it. edit - nope.
Tobho had learned to work Valyrian steel at the forges of Qohor as a boy. Only a man who knew the spells could take old weapons and forge them anew.

My videos - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyxrbU ... ENpVGbAjOw
ArristanTheOld
Novice

House: Manwoody

Return to Images and Videos of Ice and Fire