The children (show spoilers)

No spoilers for the season except for in the Spoiler discussion thread.

Re: The children (show spoilers)

Postby Phoenix » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:09 am

The show has whatever right they have contractually to change things away from George's work. This however does not equal license to do whatever in taking that liberty and in some cases making a mockery of the work just to appeal to a 'wider' audience.

I agree with everything you said.

Even within the scene, we have the change of Bran skin-changing Hodor (if I recall correctly this didn't happen in the books but my memory may be fuzzy), which wasn't a problem really as far as changes go.

I'm pretty sure this did happen in the books. I'm sure I recall Bran skin-changing into Hodor, and fighting off the wights as Hodor, and having a moment of panic when he realised that he'd left his Bran-body undefended.

So that leaves these so-called wights out there as their own sort-of race or alien being, where did they come from? Why do they move so fast and with such agility? Why DON'T the wights or the White Walkers share these traits? These are the questions that the show has opened up for themselves with this change and I highly doubt we're going to be given thorough reasoning as to why the change was deemed appropriate to do, and to do so in that way, or even the backstory that should accompany it.

I also did not like the skeletons; to me the slow, shambling wights were actually much scarier - maybe because the idea of a slow death is more terrifying to me than a fast death. In any case, the only way I could interpret it is that these are super-old wights, who have been there so long they've lost all their human-zombie-flesh... But as you say, it appears that they've just created more questions that didn't need asking
Fan: "Why do you keep killing off all the characters I love?!"
George: "Perhaps you love the wrong characters."
Phoenix
Acolyte

House: House Seaworth

Postby Phoenix » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:58 pm

Sorry to double-post but I remembered something I wanted to say. Ashaya reckons that the Qyburn-Mountain scene wasn't finale material. While I do agree with that statement, I think that is was essential to still have that scene when they did. They needed to show that the Mountain was in fact still alive, but that he was suffering, and that he was poisoned by Oberyn. I know many show fans were wondering at the end of episode 8 whether the Mountain died or not, and I think it was important to let fans know that Gregor's still a player, but also to show that Oberyn knew what he was doing. I think if they waited until season 5, it would have been out of sight/mind for too long.
Phoenix
Acolyte

Postby Vaxis » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:01 am

Phoenix wrote:Sorry to double-post but I remembered something I wanted to say. Ashaya reckons that the Qyburn-Mountain scene wasn't finale material. While I do agree with that statement, I think that is was essential to still have that scene when they did. They needed to show that the Mountain was in fact still alive, but that he was suffering, and that he was poisoned by Oberyn. I know many show fans were wondering at the end of episode 8 whether the Mountain died or not, and I think it was important to let fans know that Gregor's still a player, but also to show that Oberyn knew what he was doing. I think if they waited until season 5, it would have been out of sight/mind for too long.

I agree, I have a fair few show-only friends who asked me immediately after episode 8 if Gregor was dead or dying. I'm glad they addressed it, and I'm glad Qyburn got another scene this season.
The snowflakes are melting in your hair.
There are ghosts everywhere. We carry them with us wherever we go.
Vaxis
Hand of the King

House: The House with the Red Door

Postby Phoenix » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:51 pm

I agree, I have a fair few show-only friends who asked me immediately after episode 8 if Gregor was dead or dying. I'm glad they addressed it, and I'm glad Qyburn got another scene this season.

It also gives them a good ten months to speculate on what the Mountain will look like when we next see him! (Release the Qyborg!)
Phoenix
Acolyte

Postby Phoenix » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:05 am

OH something else I wanted to say! Sorry I'm double-double posting now...

I liked the fact that Sam sort of set up a precedent for debating the NW's vows based on a technicality of words. Dance With Dragons spoilers follow:
Spoiler: show
If you recall, the NW vow applies until they die, so if Jon were to die and come back, they've set that precedent of saying "actually, if you look at the words I said, I only promised to be in the NW until I died, and now I have, so I'm technically released from that vow" and he can go on to do whatever it is that Jon might do if he were released from the NW... Ride a dragon, claim his true father's throne, marry an Other, who knows?! (Jon Snow certainly doesn't...)
Phoenix
Acolyte

Postby Vaxis » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:08 am

Phoenix wrote:OH something else I wanted to say! Sorry I'm double-double posting now...

I liked the fact that Sam sort of set up a precedent for debating the NW's vows based on a technicality of words. Dance With Dragons spoilers follow:
If you recall, the NW vow applies until they die, so if Jon were to die and come back, they've set that precedent of saying "actually, if you look at the words I said, I only promised to be in the NW until I died, and now I have, so I'm technically released from that vow" and he can go on to do whatever it is that Jon might do if he were released from the NW... Ride a dragon, claim his true father's throne, marry an Other, who knows?! (Jon Snow certainly doesn't...)

Except that Jon doesn't think that way, it's not in his character to want to abandon the Watch because of a technicality... and besides, the vow says something about "for this night, and all nights to come".. It's really the spirit of the oath that counts, not the exact wording.
The snowflakes are melting in your hair.
There are ghosts everywhere. We carry them with us wherever we go.
Vaxis
Hand of the King

House: The House with the Red Door

Postby Phoenix » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:21 am

Very true, it's the essence of the vow that matters (as Jon tries to point out to Sam) but I personally hold to the theory that the "til death do me part" will have a part to play in Jon's future.

But there are so many theories and directions that that could go so I could certainly be wrong. It's just a personal pet theory of mine!
Phoenix
Acolyte

Previous

Return to Season 4