The Music: Season Four

No spoilers for the season except for in the Spoiler discussion thread.

The Music: Season Four

Postby Phoenix » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:25 am

I thought I'd start a thread for anyone who, like myself, is a soundtrack-nut and really enjoyed season four's music.

I acquired the soundtrack yesterday, and one of the first things that struck me when I was listening through was that the Thenn's track has a sound like a hammer on anvil, and I wondered if this was supposed to point to Styr's being killed by taking a hammer to the head? If anyone knows what instrument/tool they used in that track, I'd be much obliged.

I also like that in "You're No Son of Mine", the theme changes from the Rains of Castamere to a variant of the opening track music, with heavy emphasis on the part we usually hear when the camera pans to Essos (the latter part of the opening track).
Spoiler: show
Very cool hint of what's to come!
Fan: "Why do you keep killing off all the characters I love?!"
George: "Perhaps you love the wrong characters."
Phoenix
Acolyte

House: House Seaworth

Re: The Music: Season Four

Postby Vaxis » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:58 am

I personally enjoyed the soundtracks of the other seasons more, but this one had some really awesome pieces. My favorites were "I'm Sorry For Today" and "Three-Eyed Raven".
The snowflakes are melting in your hair.
There are ghosts everywhere. We carry them with us wherever we go.
Vaxis
Hand of the King

House: The House with the Red Door

Postby Phoenix » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:33 am

I think Season Three may have been my favourite overall, but this one definitely had its highlights. I think my favourite was the Watchers on the Wall. And Two Swords, but I really love the Winterfell theme and the Rains of Castamere theme so any track that features both will be right up my alley :D

In saying that though, I'm annoyed that there wasn't a track for Oberyn. Or was it hidden in another track and I just missed it? I'd expected a Mountain vs Viper track, or his theme, or something
Phoenix
Acolyte

Postby Vaxis » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:55 am

Phoenix wrote:I think Season Three may have been my favourite overall, but this one definitely had its highlights. I think my favourite was the Watchers on the Wall. And Two Swords, but I really love the Winterfell theme and the Rains of Castamere theme so any track that features both will be right up my alley :D

In saying that though, I'm annoyed that there wasn't a track for Oberyn. Or was it hidden in another track and I just missed it? I'd expected a Mountain vs Viper track, or his theme, or something

Ramin Djawadi confirmed that there was no Oberyn track on the collection, which he was quite sad about as he doesn't get to choose what makes it onto the disc and what doesn't. But he also said there will definitely be a mega-collection of music in the future someday that will feature tons of music across the whole series, so who knows? I'm crossing my fingers for the track used in the Tyrion/Oberyn scene in the prison cell.
The snowflakes are melting in your hair.
There are ghosts everywhere. We carry them with us wherever we go.
Vaxis
Hand of the King

House: The House with the Red Door

Postby Phoenix » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:16 pm

Ramin Djawadi confirmed that there was no Oberyn track on the collection, which he was quite sad about as he doesn't get to choose what makes it onto the disc and what doesn't.

I didn't know that, that sucks!

But he also said there will definitely be a mega-collection of music in the future someday that will feature tons of music across the whole series, so who knows? I'm crossing my fingers for the track used in the Tyrion/Oberyn scene in the prison cell.

Ohh that would be so amazing. That's a common thing with popular movie soundtracks (LOTR comes to mind) where they release the full collection later on. Hopefully we'll see a similar thing with GOT.
I tried to see whether anyone had stripped the dialogue from that scene (Tyrion & Oberyn) and put up a bootlegged copy of the music on Youtube or somewhere, but so far no such luck and it looks like I'll just have to be patient (story of ASOIAF-fan's life)
Phoenix
Acolyte

Postby LarsPenry » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:55 am

This should have been in episode 8's credits:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQNrTv0u0Qo&feature=kp
It would have been awesooooomeee.
LarsPenry
Kingsguard

House: House Stark

Postby Phoenix » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:56 pm

Thanks for that link, it's awesome! The show could definitely benefit from (at the very least) token mentions of other songs, so people don't run around thinking there are just two songs in all of Westeros. Remember that scene in episode 8 (when the Thenns attack Molestown) and the whore was burping a song, and one guy guessed "Rains of Castamere", was told he was wrong, then tried "Bear and Maiden Fair". It was like "Oh of course, the only other song we have in this show!"
Phoenix
Acolyte

Return to Season 4