Cast aluminum Weirwood/Heart Tree sculpture - WiP

Threads about ASOIAF art, memes, gifs, funny videos, other cool YouTube channels, as long as it is based on the books or show, it goes here!

Re: Cast aluminum Weirwood/Heart Tree sculpture - WiP

Postby ArristanTheOld » Thu May 05, 2016 10:57 am

Rammer pattern now split and dowelled, and draft angles (AKA tapered sides to enable removal from the mold) sanded on; also, flask alignment hardware has been added.

And I'm pretty sure I can use this same flask to mold the axe blade, so cancel what I said above about needing to build another set of frames. This flask does still need some ribs added to the inside walls to grip the molding sand. I don't want the packed sand to slip out and end up on the ground while I am trying to move it to my pouring area!

Rammer pattern needs paint, sanding, and shellack. Maybe some fillets (pronounced fill-it, not fill-eh like a piece of fish) where the beads meet with a sharp V between them (better view of this in the post above). Molten metal doesn't like freezing in the form of sharp corners; abrupt changes in thickness create weird shrinkage issues that can cause tearing while the casting is still only semi-solid, because thin sections freeze faster than thick ones, and sharp corners put those two things right beside each other. So adding the fillets to the pattern would involve ie. smearing some wood filler into those V's with the curved tip of a popsicle stick, or maybe using something a little narrower. Look carefully at any casting and you will notice fillets on the inside corners and radii (rounded edges) on the outside corners.

Image Image

But even though I still have lots of work to do, I am getting closer to being ready to pour every day. Can't wait to get out in the back yard melting again!

rammer

flask
Tobho had learned to work Valyrian steel at the forges of Qohor as a boy. Only a man who knew the spells could take old weapons and forge them anew.

My videos - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyxrbU ... ENpVGbAjOw
ArristanTheOld
Novice

House: Manwoody

Postby ArristanTheOld » Wed May 11, 2016 10:33 am

Patterns for casting the first Men axe and the sand rammer tool are now complete! They have been repeatedly painted then sanded, then shellacked and sanded, and finally, shellacked again. They are now as smooth as they are going to get, so hopefully that means they will be easy to remove from their molds, for making better quality castings.

Enjoy the pic, folks...

Oooohh, see how shiny?

The yellow handle pattern if from (and for) a file I have that fell out of the handle last year. Plan is to cast it a new one. If it works, I'll be able to reuse the pattern as many times as I want and cast handles onto just about anything I feel like. :)

Need to at least do a tiny amount more work on the flask and crucible tongs before I attempt to cast the rammer, which will the first one to get done, so that I will then have a sand rammer to make molding the other two parts easier. OR if I can hold off long enough, I could also use a new dross/slag skimmer and some long-handled ingot tongs. I can make those easily out of some rebar and bedframe angle iron and a pair of old pliers, now that I have that little welding machine I picked up... Just gotta find the time.

Next time I update, hopefully I will have metal copies of at least some of this to show off! Wish me luck...

edit - hmmm, my photobucket images are still getting the right side truncated off when I use the "image" links. You might see the rest in full by clicking the pic, if you want to and don't mind your browser maybe getting redirected...
Tobho had learned to work Valyrian steel at the forges of Qohor as a boy. Only a man who knew the spells could take old weapons and forge them anew.

ArristanTheOld
Novice

Postby ArristanTheOld » Wed May 25, 2016 10:03 am

Quick update:

I cast my sand rammer!

Tempering the crucible for its first use the night before:

The freshly poured mold:

The rammer, as-cast:

All cleaned up and ready to use:

Woo-Hoo! First casting of 2016. First time using free waste oil (from the fryer at a local hockey arena canteen) to fuel the Black Dread as well - I built my burner to run on waste oil, but it had only been run on diesel before this. None of the neighbours came over asking for some of those French fries they could smell me cooking, so I guess I had it burning clean enough. :)

The other side of the casting isn't as nice as this side, because the casting itself is a mold-making tool that I did not yet have at the time, in order to help make a better bottom half of the mold. But, it came out good enough, and clearly, now I do have it... so when it is time to cast the blade for the bronze First Men axe I'm preparing to make, I'll be able to make an even better job of it.

I hope... :)

It'll be a few weeks at least though, I still have to source some materials (the bronze, among others) and possibly build a sand-reconditioning mulling machine first (to make it easier to replace some of the moisture I boiled out of my molding sand by pouring it full of burning hot molten metal). Wish me luck!

ArristanTheOld
Novice

Postby ArristanTheOld » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:16 am

I have already shown you guys my melting furnace that I named after the Black Dread...

I decided the sand rammer in the pic above should have a name too: King Robert's Rammer!

Just completed my greensand muller build too...

Wait for it...

Big Bucket Mull!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M1xOH1PF6g

The name of the muller was uflgator's idea and I love it, it's so appropriate. It literally is a big bucket that mulls!

It isn't totally complete; I have a few upgrades in mind already, but it is working well enough to recondition my supply of green sand for making molds. The First Men's bronze axe project is now able to proceed, and I can't wait to pour it! But I do still need to buy the bronze.

Happy songs of ice and fire and molten metal everyone,

AtO

ArristanTheOld
Novice

Previous

Return to Images and Videos of Ice and Fire