do any of you play any games of fire and ice?

Discussion related to all games based on the series, examples include Crusader Kings II, the board game, the Facebook game, and the living card game.

do any of you play any games of fire and ice?

Postby Webswinger » Mon May 19, 2014 5:44 pm

I found a pen and paper RPG Image I think i'll download the free quickstart and give it a try.

But is there a Facebook or I phone game? in the apple store I just found trivia games and they weren't that good.
Webswinger
Novice

House: House stark

Re: do any of you play any games of fire and ice?

Postby Vaxis » Mon May 19, 2014 9:05 pm

There are plenty of official licensed video games for ASOIAF and GOT material (of varying success):

Game of Thrones: Genesis - this is an interesting little real-time strategy game by Cyanide, which is sort of like a simple, shorter version of Civilization. You pick a faction, each with their own unique abilities, and you use a combination of diplomacy, warfare, and sabotage to conquer your enemies. I.... found it to be a slow and clunky, and haven't yet met anyone who enjoyed it much.

Game of Thrones RPG - this was also by Cyanide, and it's a RPG game that many compare to The Witcher in terms of gameplay. You take turns playing as two different characters. The first is Mors Westford, an intimidating skinchanger who serves the Nights Watch as a man who hunts down deserters, and the second is Alester Sarwyck, who is a Red Priest convert returning to his house in the Riverlands after a self-exile in Essos. It's a good game by all accounts, though I never got far into it. Definitely worth a try.

Game of Thrones: Ascent - this is a Facebook game by Disruptor Beam, and it's got all sorts of good and bad points. It uses the typical Facebook "freemium" model, where you can play all features for free, but paying money will give you a much easier and faster time. You are a lord, you have lands and family, you follow a text-based sort of journey as you swear fealty to a house of your choice and follow the timeline of the novels. Huge social game aspect that has been well-liked. It's good enough for wasting time, but quickly becomes, well... a Facebook game.

Upcoming games are a series of episodic, story-based installments from Telltale Games (expecting this to be much like their very successful Walking Dead series), and an online browser-based MMORPG.
The snowflakes are melting in your hair.
There are ghosts everywhere. We carry them with us wherever we go.
Vaxis
Hand of the King

House: The House with the Red Door

Postby SerKnute » Tue May 20, 2014 7:10 am

I really was pumped up about GoT: Ascent but after getting into it and seeing the pay-to-win model I decided it wasn't for me, I can't afford it, if I could it might be a different story. But, I did generally like the model of the game.

I was curious if they could come up with a Mod to the Medieval Total War Series and adapt it to ASOIAF? I just recently got that reloaded on this laptop and had to find a couple of files that help fix functionality because it just didn't seem to work right with OS's past XP. But in that search for a fix I found a Total War website that has a section completely devoted to modding it to different eras and such so I was quite curious if GoT could be somehow modded into the existing infrastructure that Total War has. Or, I wish they could just model a GoT game after the Total War model and introduce one of its own, I'd be all over that.
Edd, fetch me a block.
SerKnute
Acolyte

House: House Targaryen

Postby GeekFurious » Thu May 29, 2014 3:19 pm

There is a mod for Mount & Blade: Warband, called A CLASH OF KINGS. But it requires a pretty good computer. It crashes mine sometimes. But it actually allows you to have big battles where you actually fight.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/a-clash-of-ki ... f-kings-12

There is also an excellent mod for Crusader Kings II. Granted, that is a strategy game and not one where you get any action. But it is definitely something for hardcore fans.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/crusader-king ... -installer

There is also a mod for Medieval II: Total War but I have not tested it.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/game-of-thrones/downloads
Sometimes you write a story that goes where, as a member of the audience, you wouldn't want it to go. Because anything else would be dishonest.
GeekFurious
Novice

House: House Stark

Postby Ash » Thu May 29, 2014 7:25 pm

My top 3 ASOIAF games are the Crusader Kings 2 mod (it is glorious, a glorious, glorious time sink), the board game and its expansions, and Game of Thrones: Ascent. It's a decent Facebook game, but mainly, I love the art and the sworn sword names and the item creation. I don't really play a lot, though, I just log in and make sure I reach my day 7 gold bonus usually.

I disliked the RPG by Cyanide, and I have very little interest in Mount & Blade.

I have never played Battles of Westeros or the living card game, though I am very interested in playing the former.

The map on the left in our videos is a fanmade 9 player expansion map for the board game, actually.
Ash
Grand Maester

House: House Hightower

Postby Steppricon » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:15 am

Ash wrote:My top 3 ASOIAF games are the Crusader Kings 2 mod (it is glorious, a glorious, glorious time sink), the board game and its expansions, and Game of Thrones: Ascent. It's a decent Facebook game, but mainly, I love the art and the sworn sword names and the item creation. I don't really play a lot, though, I just log in and make sure I reach my day 7 gold bonus usually.

I disliked the RPG by Cyanide, and I have very little interest in Mount & Blade.

I have never played Battles of Westeros or the living card game, though I am very interested in playing the former.

The map on the left in our videos is a fanmade 9 player expansion map for the board game, actually.

I'm looking at getting the table top game, I'm really anticipating what tell-tale will do with the IP, the walking dead games have great narrative, and with the source materials from ASOIAF it'll be very interesting what they can do with it
A hall to die in, and men to bury me. I thank you, my lords...but I spit on your pity...I am a knight...I shall die a knight
Steppricon
Novice

House: House Dayne

Postby ArristanTheOld » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:42 pm

I have played the 2nd edition boardgame, with and without the expansion that includes House Arryn (the name of which I can't recall), and a tiny bit of the RPG video game on my PS3. I got lost in Castle Black looking for one of my first missions, so I just poked around there for a bit but haven't gone back to it since. at least I have the art book that comes with it, featuring classic mixups of "Jeor" and "Jorah". We've probably all done that at some point...

My tabletop gaming group also played a little bit of the Song of Ice and Fire (tabletop) Roleplaying game (SIFRP) from Green Ronin Games, which I have the first version of the core rules and also the campaign setting book for. We only played the free "Quick Start" adventure though, which may still be available on Green Ronin's site. I also have the Peril at King's Landing mega-adventure, but I don't know if/when we will get around to it. It's lack of prep time, not of interest. Also, nobody in my group has read the books more than once, which I would probably find a little disappointing as far as the quality of the roleplaying goes. I know that is my own issue to deal with, but that doesn't make it less true.

Has anyone played the older out-of-print tabletop roleplaying game from Guardians of Order? I believe it was just called A Game of Thrones RPG, something like that anyhow... I once had a chance to pick up the deluxe rulebook for that game, at retail value no less; been kicking myself ever since for holding off, as the one copy they had was gone when I returned and is now rare as hen's teeth and super expensive, though supposedly a magnificently beautiful book full of "new" semi-canon details we haven't seen anywhere else (some of which have been overruled by changes made by the new world book, mind you). Too bad producing it to such a high standard apparently ran GoO (the game company, not the podcast) into the ground...
Tobho had learned to work Valyrian steel at the forges of Qohor as a boy. Only a man who knew the spells could take old weapons and forge them anew.

My videos - https://m.youtube.com/#/channel/UCyxrbU ... ENpVGbAjOw
ArristanTheOld
Novice

House: Manwoody

Postby morrism » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:43 am

Well actually never have had the experience yet to play this kind of games which is the fire and ice. But I heard great feedbacks concerning this games that is why I have the urge to play this games. Whatever the result I may soon give you updates.
morrism
Novice

House: Game of Thrones

Return to Games of Ice and Fire