[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
History of Westeros • View topic - Songs of Ice and Fire

Songs of Ice and Fire

Suggest future episode topics.

Songs of Ice and Fire

Postby Fittlelinger » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:16 pm

I think an episode examining the significance of songs in ASOIAF (for both influencing character decisions and also for real-westeros-world parallels and potential clues to future events) could be very interesting.

Obviously there's:
The Rains of Castamere - nice history and huge influence
The Bear and The Maiden Fair - many interesting parallels with Sandor/Sansa, Brienne/Jaime, Jorah/Dany etc
The Song of Ice and Fire - duh!

Then there's other, less well known ones (i.e. didn't make the TV show) which could be interesting:
The Dornishman's Wife - potential clues to future or tenuous parallels to Red Viper?
The Last of The Giants - surely some foreshadowing/clues/history?
Sam's 'Song of the Seven' and Sansa's hymn 'Gentle Mother'
Jenny's Song
Hands of Gold

Then there's other songs where we only know the title, but there could be hidden meaning or at least interesting discussion points:
Alysanne
The Day They Hanged Black Robin
The Rat Cook
The Burning of The Ships - sung at Winterfell before Blackwater Bay (there are no doubt numerous song-hints throughout the books I expect)
The False and the Fair
The Name Day Boy

There are many others to pick through and I think it could offer a nice and varied but very interesting episode. George loves to include subtle hints as to what's going to happen and quickly-read-and-not-really-taken-in song titles are a great way in which he does it. Could lead to good discussion and a deeper appreciation of George's meticulously planned book. I'm sure you'll find far more than I would have!
Fittlelinger
Novice

House:

Re: Songs of Ice and Fire

Postby Azizal » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:17 pm

Good idea! That could make for a very solid podcast topic.

We've mentioned a few times that (eventually, editor delayed it again) we contributed an essay on Harrenhal to an upcoming book entitled A Hymn for Spring. In that book, Amin (of Podcast of Ice and Fire) wrote an essay on music in Westeros.

As I said, the book isn't out yet, but I've read Amin's essay and it is quite good. So when it does come out, you'll want to check it out.
Azizal
Grand Maester

Re: Songs of Ice and Fire

Postby Phoenix » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:48 am

I'm coming to this late (been on hiatus!) - is Hymns for Spring out now? That essay sounds really interesting!
Fan: "Why do you keep killing off all the characters I love?!"
George: "Perhaps you love the wrong characters."
Phoenix
Acolyte

House:

Return to Episode Suggestions