S4E6 The Laws of Gods and Men (spoilers)

No spoilers for the season except for in the Spoiler discussion thread.

Re: S4E6 The Laws of Gods and Men (spoilers)

Postby Steppricon » Wed May 14, 2014 5:25 am

DarrenT wrote:In the books I got the impression that Shae was threatened into betraying Tyrion but in the show I think it's more of payback for her. She seemed quite spiteful with her "I'm a whore remember?" comment and I don't think she was paid off because we see her rejecting Varys' attempt to pay her off.

What impression did you all get from the books? Was she speaking under direst or was it spite. Her being in Tywin's bed suggests she was a somewhat willing participant. I originally thought that the show wasn't going to have Shae in Tywins bed...it just seems so out of left field for both characters. But then Tywin had that comment when Cersei pointed Shae out to him "Bring her to my chamber".

My opinion from the book is that her testimony wasn't as forced, but that could be off due to the perspective. TV shae has a jilted girlfriend tilt to her character, whereas book shae was more of the scorned gold digger, I like the shift in the show, because it's going to be easier for unsullied viewers to swallow tyrion's descent into despair after the events in the tower of the hand. The scene is going to be much more hard hitting because the show has portrayed shae as loving Tyrion perhaps as much as he loved her
A hall to die in, and men to bury me. I thank you, my lords...but I spit on your pity...I am a knight...I shall die a knight
Steppricon
Novice

House: House Dayne

Postby Steppricon » Wed May 14, 2014 6:46 am

Am I alone in thinking that Ramsay killed Miranda before he made it to the kennels?
A hall to die in, and men to bury me. I thank you, my lords...but I spit on your pity...I am a knight...I shall die a knight
Steppricon
Novice

House: House Dayne

Postby Heartsbane » Wed May 14, 2014 11:53 am

DarrenT wrote:In the books I got the impression that Shae was threatened into betraying Tyrion but in the show I think it's more of payback for her. She seemed quite spiteful with her "I'm a whore remember?" comment and I don't think she was paid off because we see her rejecting Varys' attempt to pay her off.

What impression did you all get from the books? Was she speaking under direst or was it spite. Her being in Tywin's bed suggests she was a somewhat willing participant. I originally thought that the show wasn't going to have Shae in Tywins bed...it just seems so out of left field for both characters. But then Tywin had that comment when Cersei pointed Shae out to him "Bring her to my chamber".

I found it hard to tell in the books, but I think that's partly because Shae really isn't a character at all, just someone Tyrion keeps saying he cares about but you never really know or understand why. I love the changes they made for the show, and I like the idea of her being a spiteful and spurned woman who's probably planning on keeping the money and house in Essos Tyrion gave her anyway. She is a whore.

Steppricon wrote:Am I alone in thinking that Ramsay killed Miranda before he made it to the kennels?

Okay, what was with his bloody torso? Am I the only one confused by that? Are we to understand that Miranda was slicing him up during sex, or he was killing her, or did he get all bloody by fighting men on the way to the kennels?
Heartsbane
Novice

House: House Hightower

Postby DarrenT » Wed May 14, 2014 12:16 pm

Steppricon wrote:Am I alone in thinking that Ramsay killed Miranda before he made it to the kennels?

I had this thought too. I had seen the preview for this episode where it shows Ramsay all bloody and shirtless and then in the episode when they're having sex I half expected Miranda to start cutting him. Maybe that was what was implied? I think Ashaya and Aziz are probably right in pointing out that Ramsay probably had to fight other Ironborn before entering the kennel area. Or are we just at the point where crazy Ramsay can be covered in blood without us knowing why or how?
DarrenT
Knight of the Forums

House: House Targaryen

Postby Webswinger » Fri May 16, 2014 1:15 pm

DarrenT wrote:I agree with you on the Greyjoy/Bolton scene. After the very inspirational scene in episode 10 last season of Yara telling Balon she's going to save Theon and the montage of her sailing away with warriors I felt like this was very rushed and ultimately pointless. It kind of feels like they had one plan at the end of last season and have since decided against that and just wanted to wrap up that plotline as quickly as possible. It really didn't accomplish anything other than Theon Greyjoy being "dead" and now fully being Reek...but we already knew that. I suppose you could argue that now Asha is accepting her role as heir to Pyke but this could have been done last season once they got Ramsay's letter.

I think they doubled down on the plot line this episode with Yara reading the letter to the raiding party, and telling them that Iron Born means nothing as long as Theon is a prisoner getting tortured. I was disappointed in the "50 best killers on the island", they got their ass handed to them by the guards at the Dreadfort and Ramsey. He didn't have any armor and the "the best killers" couldn't even wound him(in the fight scene we saw). I also think that they gave up on Theon way to quick.

I have a theory as to who betrayed Tryrion, Shae, Bronn, or someone else.
In the books I see Shae as a gold digger and the HBO show makes her seem to really care for him. I didn't get the impression that Shae was threatened I thought she saw that Tyrion couldn't help her anymore and she latched on to someone who could.
Webswinger
Novice

House: House stark

Postby SerKnute » Sun May 18, 2014 3:26 am

DarrenT wrote:

I had this thought too. I had seen the preview for this episode where it shows Ramsay all bloody and shirtless and then in the episode when they're having sex I half expected Miranda to start cutting him. Maybe that was what was implied? I think Ashaya and Aziz are probably right in pointing out that Ramsay probably had to fight other Ironborn before entering the kennel area. Or are we just at the point where crazy Ramsay can be covered in blood without us knowing why or how?

I think A&A are correct in that Ramsay had to fight some Ironborn before reaching the kennels, however, my take on the cuts on his chest are that not only is he a sadist, he's a bit of a masochist too and whether it's Miranda or not, those cuts don't look like they're from battle but more from 'torture'. Now I grant that they look fresh so that may weaken my take on Ramsay, but it's also possible that they were cuts received prior to the sex scene with Miranda before the Ironborn are inside the castle. They just look too shallow to be battle wounds per se, if you get my meaning...

Lastly, I had no idea that the episode reviews were getting talked about in this section, I've been putting mine in a different one the last couple weeks, I'll post in this section going forward... :D
Edd, fetch me a block.
SerKnute
Acolyte

House: House Targaryen

Previous

Return to Season 4