Episode Discussion (ASOIAF spoilers)

No spoilers for the season except for in the Spoiler discussion thread.

Episode Discussion (ASOIAF spoilers)

Postby Ash » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:07 am

Discuss the current season in this thread, spoilers for everything allowed.

Feel free to post spoilers live as episodes air.
Ash
Grand Maester

House: House Hightower

Re: Episode Discussion (ASOIAF spoilers)

Postby DarrenT » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:08 pm

Any theories on Bran's story arc in this season? It seems like there isn't much for his group to encounter until they get to Bloodraven's cave. It would be disappointing to have a full season of them trudging through snow without getting there, but that said, his storyline would already contain material from ADWD and I'm not sure how much material the show-runners and writers can make up (from outside of the source material) without foreshadowing too much what happens with him inside the cave.
DarrenT
Knight of the Forums

House: House Targaryen

Postby Ash » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:56 pm

Well, the final episode of the season is "The Children" so I imagine that will involve Bran and the cave. We could just see very little of Bran on the way there, a few traveling scenes, nothing exciting.

Personally, I think they should have kept Bran at Winterfell a little longer, included Little and Big Walder, and not cut down a storyline that is already sparse...
Ash
Grand Maester

House: House Hightower

Postby DarrenT » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:32 am

Ash wrote:Personally, I think they should have kept Bran at Winterfell a little longer, included Little and Big Walder, and not cut down a storyline that is already sparse...

I totally agree. I was pretty shocked that Bran's group got the other side of the Wall last season. But I guess it makes sense to give them at least some kind of payoff last season, given that his entire arc was just walking. His saving Jon via warging into Summer and his encounter with Sam were fun but they've flown through his storyline so fast compared to the others. With no chapters in crows and only 3 in Dance, they could easily cover that this season. Possible that Bran's story surpasses the books as soon as season 5??
DarrenT
Knight of the Forums

Postby sweetyft » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:55 am

DarrenT wrote:With no chapters in crows and only 3 in Dance, they could easily cover that this season. Possible that Bran's story surpasses the books as soon as season 5??

According to IMDB, they have an actor playing the three-eyed raven this season (with a very precise and spoilery description of the role) so I assume he's at least going to meet him. Also, his story arc in Danse might be a little difficult to adapt on screen (House of the Undying type of situation). My safe bet is that they will have more conversations with the two of them as a mean of exposition and less visions. My crackpot theory is that, next season, a big reveal might come from him concerning Jon coinciding with Jon's murder.

PS I believe most stories from AFFC and ADWD will be covered in season 5.
sweetyft
Novice

House: House

Postby DarrenT » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:36 pm

sweetyft wrote:My crackpot theory is that, next season, a big reveal might come from him concerning Jon coinciding with Jon's murder.

PS I believe most stories from AFFC and ADWD will be covered in season 5.

I don't think that's crackpot at all. Jon and Bran are connected in that they are probably the most advanced of the wargs in the family. With Bran's new abilities and their proximity to each other I think it's almost a lock that these two meet up, maybe not in person but on some level of being able to directly communicate.

Also your timeline makes sense. I could see Bran's final scene in this season being entering the cave and seeing the 3 eyed crow for the first time, then season 5 covering his limited Dance material, and season 6 and 7 representing each book. It might be a bit of a set up season for Bran but I guess its better than season 4 covering his Dance material and having either nothing or very limited scenes for season 5.
DarrenT
Knight of the Forums

Postby sweetyft » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:07 pm

We agree on the timeline. The released title of the last episode could hint at his first meeting of the children of the forest and Bloodraven. So that would make a very slow season for Bran (especially since they don't introduce Coldhands). The only plot I could think of to spice things up would be for him to encounter some of the rogue members of the Night's Watch that stayed at Craster's keep or maybe just some of Craster's daughter-wives and have hell knows what happen (but I'm not good with predictions).

Jumping the shark to season 5, what I was thinking about more precisely was that it would be cool if Bran revealed Jon's parentage while Jon is being murdered :roll: . That's just a wild guess but seing how they changed the visions from THOTU, I'm pretty sure they won't show Bran's visions as depicted in the book.
sweetyft
Novice

Postby DarrenT » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:22 pm

They're not doing Coldhands in the show???!
DarrenT
Knight of the Forums

Postby JonStark » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:20 pm

Prepare for some serious deviations from the books:

• Bran: completely made-up storyline until he reaches Bloodraven in the last(s) episode(s). Rumor has it he will be involved in a new storyline involving Craster's keep. Sam gave them dragonglass last season so they'll fight Others for sure.
  • Arya: completely made-up storyline (after the first episode) until she sails to Bravos in the last(s) episode(s).
  • Jaime and Brienne: completely made-up storyline until 4th episode, where they already are where they are supposed to be. After that Jaime has to stay up until the end to rescue Tyrion so he doesn't have a really lot to do! (except training with Bronn). Brienne?. We won't get septon Meribald and the quiet isle. Most likely we'll get Lady Stoneheart from her. Next season?. Who knows.
  • Stannis: Who's that guy?. Quick made-up visit to Braavos to make him do something and barely any apparitions until he saves the day on episode 9.
  • Jon: completely made up storyline (possible involvement with that new Craster's keep storyline). Maybe they'll advance some things like him becoming Lord Commander before the battle (which will mean that Stannis will save Jon from a sure defeat, after which he'll actively fight to join the cannibal Thenns to the seven realms. Yay!).
  • Daenerys. Meereen conquest. Harpy killings. Chained dragons. I don't think we'll get to the marriage. In any case her storyline will be spread very thin for 2 seasons.
  • Sansa. To the Vale with her. We are gonna get the Lords Declarant this season. What she will do next season?. Who knows.
  • Tyrion. Probably the only character that makes sense time-wise and storyline-wise. We'll get to Tywin's murder. My money is on Tywin killing Shae and Tyrion getting revenge. I don't think they'll play the Tysha card (TV viewers don't care about characters they haven't seen).
Jon Stark, King in the North since '00. Seriously, it's been 14 years since Robb legitimized Jon, made him his heir and died. 2 and a half books. In number of pages, more than half of the series... Why do you keep calling him Jon Snow. Why?.
JonStark
Novice

House: House Stark

Postby sweetyft » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:51 am

DarrenT wrote:They're not doing Coldhands in the show???!

No actor was cast as Coldhands but, at the same time, no one was cast as Ramsay last year (although rumors were flying).
sweetyft
Novice

Next

Return to Season 4