Sellsword Company Questions (Show and Book Spoilers!)

No spoilers for the season except for in the Spoiler discussion thread.

Sellsword Company Questions (Show and Book Spoilers!)

Postby DarrenT » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:15 pm

I just had a couple of thoughts regarding sellsword companies in the show and how the changes that have been made from book to show will potentially have a "butterfly effect" later on.

1. Golden Company

I assume Stannis will be successful in hiring the Golden Company now that he has money. If he does hire the Golden Company, bring them to Westeros and defend the Wall, as the preview for next episode indicates, how does this effect the Aegon plot later? It's hard to believe they would cut out Aegon but is that a possibility? Or will the Golden Company abandon Stannis when Aegon lands in Westeros and that is the one contract they break? Possible but who knows. I also think that if the show goes out of it's way to tell us about the Golden Company's origins (ie. Bittersteel, Blackfyre descendants) then that's a clear indication that Aegon is actually a Blackfyre. If he isn't then I could see that whole aspect being glossed over in the show.

2. Second Sons

Because show Daario is captain of the Second Sons and there is no Brown Ben Plumm (yet?) does this mean that in the show Daario will be the one to betray Dany? Not sure but this thought occurred to me. Lots of potential for this now that he is in Yunkai as well.

What does everyone think? I don't know what will happen for either case but it seems like we might see two pretty big divergences.
DarrenT
Knight of the Forums

House: House Targaryen

Re: Sellsword Company Questions (Show and Book Spoilers!)

Postby Vaxis » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:12 pm

Does the preview hint that Stannis hires the Golden Company? I didn't get that from watching it, and it doesn't seem likely to me, because I do think they are definitely keeping the Aegon plot intact. From the footage I've seen, it seems like Stannis is fighting with his own men only. I would also doubt strongly that the Golden Company would follow Stannis just to land at the Wall...

It's worth noting as well that Stannis might not actually have the money to hire sellswords. The writers have clarfiied that Stannis got a provisionary loan from the Iron Bank, and that more money will be lended if he meets with success... so I'm doubtful that they can even afford the Golden Company at this point.
The snowflakes are melting in your hair.
There are ghosts everywhere. We carry them with us wherever we go.
Vaxis
Hand of the King

House: The House with the Red Door

Postby DarrenT » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:32 pm

Vaxis wrote:Does the preview hint that Stannis hires the Golden Company? I didn't get that from watching it, and it doesn't seem likely to me, because I do think they are definitely keeping the Aegon plot intact. From the footage I've seen, it seems like Stannis is fighting with his own men only. I would also doubt strongly that the Golden Company would follow Stannis just to land at the Wall...

It's worth noting as well that Stannis might not actually have the money to hire sellswords. The writers have clarfiied that Stannis got a provisionary loan from the Iron Bank, and that more money will be lended if he meets with success... so I'm doubtful that they can even afford the Golden Company at this point.

Ok I didn't know about the previsionary loan so that makes sense. I don't know if the Golden Company would go with Stannis but maybe they would if they don't know about Aegon? If they think the Blackfyre line is done then maybe they'd be willing to side with any Westerosi King who will have them, in hopes of reclaiming their land and titles.

What I meant by the preview hinting is that clearly the attack on the Wall happens next episode and I'm sure this includes Stannis because otherwise the Night's Watch would be destroyed. If he doesn't hire the Golden Company, as was Davos' suggestion, who then? Just a generic sellsword company? If so why introduce the idea of the Golden Company at this point?

Again I don't have any answers but these are questions that I have considered. We shall see.
DarrenT
Knight of the Forums

Postby Vaxis » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:47 pm

DarrenT wrote:
Vaxis wrote:Does the preview hint that Stannis hires the Golden Company? I didn't get that from watching it, and it doesn't seem likely to me, because I do think they are definitely keeping the Aegon plot intact. From the footage I've seen, it seems like Stannis is fighting with his own men only. I would also doubt strongly that the Golden Company would follow Stannis just to land at the Wall...

Ok I didn't know about the previsionary loan so that makes sense. I don't know if the Golden Company would go with Stannis but maybe they would if they don't know about Aegon? If they think the Blackfyre line is done then maybe they'd be willing to side with any Westerosi King who will have them, in hopes of reclaiming their land and titles.

What I meant by the preview hinting is that clearly the attack on the Wall happens next episode and I'm sure this includes Stannis because otherwise the Night's Watch would be destroyed. If he doesn't hire the Golden Company, as was Davos' suggestion, who then? Just a generic sellsword company? If so why introduce the idea of the Golden Company at this point?

Again I don't have any answers but these are questions that I have considered. We shall see.

I had assumed they were mentioning the Golden Company just so that people know what it is when it becomes important. Similarly, The Iron Bank was described by Tyrion in season 3, even though we don't see it until season 4.

I feel it's important for Stannis and his men alone to attack the wildlings, it shows effectively that the wildling army, though huge, suffers a lack of discipline and battle order and is easily scattered by an armored cavalry charge, even by a small force. Stannis doesn't really need sellswords to help him in this situation. Though I suppose Stannis would probably do so if he had the money, and if the Golden Company were willing to break a contract for him.
Vaxis
Hand of the King

Postby DarrenT » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:58 pm

I definitely agree. It would mean more to attack with his own men, as I believe they do in the book. But the show makes it seem like his army is completely wiped out and even an organized cavalry charge might not be enough to defeat 100,000, even if they are disorganized. Thats probably what will happen but the show makes me think the Golden Company may be involved.
DarrenT
Knight of the Forums

Postby Phoenix » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:18 am

I didn't get the impression that Stannis had the Golden Company, or any sellsword company necessarily. Would he even hire sellswords? Would it go against his pride? I guess pirates are a different pot of the same clay so he probably can't make too many objections.

I feel it's important for Stannis and his men alone to attack the wildlings, it shows effectively that the wildling army, though huge, suffers a lack of discipline and battle order and is easily scattered by an armored cavalry charge, even by a small force. Stannis doesn't really need sellswords to help him in this situation.

I do agree with this - it would also be "evidence" of the power of the Red god if they won the battle, which I'm sure Mel would be keen to show.
Fan: "Why do you keep killing off all the characters I love?!"
George: "Perhaps you love the wrong characters."
Phoenix
Acolyte

House: House Seaworth

Postby DarrenT » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:40 am

I thought the whole point of going to the Iron Bank was to hire the Golden Company. I'll have to rewatch these parts I guess.
DarrenT
Knight of the Forums

Postby Vaxis » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:57 am

DarrenT wrote:I thought the whole point of going to the Iron Bank was to hire the Golden Company. I'll have to rewatch these parts I guess.

Well, Davos mentions hiring the GC as a possibility, but that was before his idea of going to the Iron Bank. No mention of the GC is made by them since then.
Vaxis
Hand of the King

Postby Steppricon » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:08 pm

Vaxis wrote:
DarrenT wrote:I thought the whole point of going to the Iron Bank was to hire the Golden Company. I'll have to rewatch these parts I guess.

Well, Davos mentions hiring the GC as a possibility, but that was before his idea of going to the Iron Bank. No mention of the GC is made by them since then.

It's possible we get a sellsword company called the golden company that get the same treatment as did the Thenns, familiar book name, but a different direction than the book. Since the show doesn't really have the ability to effectively provide the blackfire and targ connections to the golden company, it's likely we get them as stannis' sellswords
A hall to die in, and men to bury me. I thank you, my lords...but I spit on your pity...I am a knight...I shall die a knight
Steppricon
Novice

House: House Dayne

Postby DarrenT » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:17 pm

Steppricon wrote:
Vaxis wrote:

It's possible we get a sellsword company called the golden company that get the same treatment as did the Thenns, familiar book name, but a different direction than the book. Since the show doesn't really have the ability to effectively provide the blackfire and targ connections to the golden company, it's likely we get them as stannis' sellswords

I guess I had just assumed they would be getting the Golden Company because that was Davos' motivation for suggesting the Iron Bank. I guess it's possible they say we couldn't get them to break their contract so we hired another sellsword company.

I just feel like the show has hammered home that Stannis has almost no army, so he can't show up at the Wall without some mention of successfully hiring sellswords. Even a few thousand mounted men would be hard-pressed to defeat Mance's 100,000 even if that number includes women, children and old people.
DarrenT
Knight of the Forums

Next

Return to Season 4