[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
History of Westeros • View topic - S04E08 (show spoilers)

S04E08 (show spoilers)

No spoilers for the season except for in the Spoiler discussion thread.

Re: S04E08 (show spoilers)

Postby Vaxis » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:46 pm

A very minor quibble but I missed a particular line by Tyrion:

*Oberyn drives his spear into Gregors chest*

Tyrion: "I'm feeling more innocent by the second."

Great episode overall, though a few scenes fell flat for me. The ending was everything I could ever have hoped for.
The snowflakes are melting in your hair.
There are ghosts everywhere. We carry them with us wherever we go.
Vaxis
Hand of the King

House:

Postby DarrenT » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:18 pm

DarrenT
Knight of the Forums

House:

Postby Steppricon » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:55 pm

A hall to die in, and men to bury me. I thank you, my lords...but I spit on your pity...I am a knight...I shall die a knight
Steppricon
Novice

House:

Postby Phoenix » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:15 am

Fan: "Why do you keep killing off all the characters I love?!"
George: "Perhaps you love the wrong characters."
Phoenix
Acolyte

House:

Postby Steppricon » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:15 am

We get hints of Sansa embracing the dark side in the books, the show seems to be rapidly darkening her character with this last episode, she will be littlefingers downfall, it's just interesting to see on screen her effect on petyr
A hall to die in, and men to bury me. I thank you, my lords...but I spit on your pity...I am a knight...I shall die a knight
Steppricon
Novice

House:

Postby SerKnute » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:41 am

I tend to agree with the previous posts on this episode, some things were very well done, some thing's not so much.

I don't like dialogue that takes up that much time (Tyrion and Jaime) only to end with the same question we we're posed in the beginning. At least give SOMEONE'S opinion on what they think it was supposed to mean. I was thinking wow this could b a pretty cool scene if there's some odd lesson here to be learned.... aww nope, what a tease.

As far as Sansa and Littlefinger... I kind of figured it'd go that way, afterall there's no Marillion to scapegoat so they had to do something different and you know, a poster mentioned that LF didn't have time to coach Sansa; I'm actually not so positive about that. No guards came a running after Lysa flew so it's quite plausible that LF had time to say ok look we're both dead if we don't hatch a story, here's how it goes...

Her whole speech, even beginning with I'm sorry Lord Petyr but I have to tell the truth just made me think that they'd already played out how the inquiry was going to go. Just my take on it, it could be that she was just going with it but I doubt it.

And of course, the scene that will go down in GOT glory forever...

I really liked the fight overall, I did agree that while the choreography was good it wasn't as good from a choreographing of Oberyn and Gregor fighting each other together sense. I thought Oberyn's moves were well done it just seemed to me that Gregor did nothing but lunge, swipe and hack, I suppose that might not be so far out of the realm of reason but I was hoping for just a li'l bit better.

Every single time Oberyn spoke his li'l spiele (and don't get me wrong I liked it, very powerful) I just kept hearing: My name is Inigo Montoya, you kil'd my father, prepare to die! Was I the only one? :P

I agree with the other post that said it was just a bit too one-sided compared to the books, but I didn't really mind the diversion there, it really made the scene very powerfully delivered. I liked how we he was getting a li'l more angry every blow he landed and ultimately he just got too caught up in delivering that humility. Of course it was supposed to happen the way it did so there's no real point in going into the fact that he should've just stood there or even put another hole in Gregor's chest and not worried about this precious confession, but my gawd, that was epic, the eye-gouging was brutal and looked pretty damn realistic and poor Ellaria's scream was about as realistic as it gets, man that would be pretty hard to see.

I had a slight complaint about Tywin declaring for Gregor but of course we know that has to happen too, but I do wonder, has there not been thought given to what happens if both combatants die? Is it a draw? Do they have to fight for the truth again and find new Champions? Is it strictly just who dies first? Poor Tyrion was robbed! :p
Edd, fetch me a block.
SerKnute
Acolyte

House:

Postby LarsPenry » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:20 am

There were some issues though, as somebody who really appreciates great cinematic fight scenes, I was appalled by this one. I could barely tell what was happening, there was no intimacy to it, like Bob Anderson said to Geoffrey Rush, 'Just because it gets faster doesn't mean it's better. You know that as an actor. It's the beats in between.' And I think that's one hundred percent true. Too often I see movies think that fast editing or shaky cam = intense, edge of your seat action.

When he called out Tywin like that... It was so dumb. I mean really? You're going to overtly call out Tywin fucking Lannister like that, in front of essentially everybody? The nuance and subtlety has really been lost.

Meanwhile Sansa has mystically morphed into Maleficent overnight it would seem. Similarly, Littlefinger has magically lost 50 IQ points.
Ugh... I hate how they just throw things in because they serve the here and now with no thought given to its context within the world or that particular character's arc.

Rant over. Overall this was a good episode, the battle wasn't very good, but the rawness of Oberyn's death... I've never been disgusted by anything on the show before, people were going crazy over TRW and Talisa's death but it was meh for me... But this was horrific, the teeth, the scream... My God
LarsPenry
Kingsguard

House:

Postby Heartsbane » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:51 am

Heartsbane
Novice

House:

Postby Phoenix » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:47 am

Fan: "Why do you keep killing off all the characters I love?!"
George: "Perhaps you love the wrong characters."
Phoenix
Acolyte

House:

Postby GeekFurious » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:00 pm

The Tyrion story about his cousin was an amazing scene. I chuckle reading some call it pointless. It reminds me of when someone in a class I was in said "She Being Brand" by EE Cummings was "Meaningless! He's just talking about a car! It's stupid!"

Widen your analytical scope.
Sometimes you write a story that goes where, as a member of the audience, you wouldn't want it to go. Because anything else would be dishonest.
GeekFurious
Novice

House:

Previous

Return to Season 4