S04E07 (spoilers)

No spoilers for the season except for in the Spoiler discussion thread.

Re: S04E07 (spoilers)

Postby SerKnute » Tue May 20, 2014 7:41 pm

DarrenT wrote:I found it very interesting that Arya needed to learn Rorge's name before adding him to her list and killing him. This is the exact opposite of the practices of the Faceless Men, whereby they can't kill someone who's name they already knew. There's that really great scene from the books when Arya is on the ship to Braavos, after presenting the iron coin, where all the crew members make sure she knows their names, so that she cannot kill them. Is this sort of reverse-homage to the Faceless Men stuff coming up or the beginning of a very big departure? I tend to think it's homage and an interesting way of setting up the Faceless Men storyline but what do you folks think?

That's a great catch Darren I'd be willing to wager... well, wager umm, I might have a small stake in this place called Winterhell... umm.... :lol:

No seriously, I'd bet you're right on the money, we'll have to remember this thread come next year I s'pect. That is actually very cleverly done on the show's part. :ugeek:
Edd, fetch me a block.
SerKnute
Acolyte

House: House Targaryen

Postby Phoenix » Wed May 21, 2014 1:42 am

Very true! She knew him but she couldn't kill him until she had his name, which is the reverse of how the Faceless Men operate. Awesome catch.

I had a thought regarding the title "Mockingbird". Mockingbirds mimic the songs of other birds. If I'm correct (and please correct me if I'm wrong), mockingbirds have no songs of their own, they only mimic others'. This is quite significant if you look at Sansa: She tells people what she thinks they want to hear, rather than her own "song". She's been referred to as "little dove" and "little bird" many times, and many speculate that she could be Littlefinger's downfall (she grows in skill at these games of thrones, while he is likely to underestimate her). She could in fact take over Petyr as Westeros' resident mockingbird.
Fan: "Why do you keep killing off all the characters I love?!"
George: "Perhaps you love the wrong characters."
Phoenix
Acolyte

House: House Seaworth

Postby Heartsbane » Wed May 21, 2014 6:06 pm

Webswinger wrote:
SerKnute wrote:The scene with Mel and Selyse, kind of meh, I thought it was a decent thing as far the show trying to flesh out their characters a little more, especially for the non-book readers (or the unsullied I guess we're calling them), but having the scene be mainly about Shireen and whether she should or shouldn't be going with them when they sail seemed kind of meh to me personally. I liked their dialogue about the powders and the tricks more than the rest but I guess it's meant to give us a setup for something that Shireen's plot will be facing later, which we'll have to see how that plays out since we know that isn't fleshed out in the books yet.

This was confusing to me. Mel was talking about tricks but we know she has powers, did she use something on Selyse to make her see what she wanted even though she said she didn't? Was this a Red Herring with all the poisons she had?

I think there were several reasons for that scene. I think it was supposed to be a juxtaposition of the previous scene, where Dany flexes her muscles by pulling a pretty aggressive power play with Daario. Melisandre is pulling a power play on Selyse by outright showing her the tricks to her trade and at the same time knowing Selyse's devotion won't waiver regardless.

It can also establish what we find out from the books, that she's a good old fashioned street magician on top of practicing genuine magic, hence the missing ruby.

It establishes Selyse's envy of Melisandre.

It shows fake tits with widdled away areolas clear up to her collar bones.
Heartsbane
Novice

House: House Hightower

Postby SerKnute » Thu May 22, 2014 5:24 am

Right on Heartsbane, I can get on board with that train of thought. I sometimes forget that having read so much since first seeing the series on T.V. that unsullied viewers won't have this information for their own benefit, so that would actually fulfill that. I began reading the books during season one so I was actually an unsullied at one point, but I'm glad I did read the books because you lose so much of the details of the story just watching the show, so this scene does actually help fill in those blanks, which I would agree is a good thing.
Edd, fetch me a block.
SerKnute
Acolyte

Postby Steppricon » Thu May 22, 2014 12:45 pm

Maybe it slipped by me, but has there been any talk of the hangings done by the brotherhood?
A hall to die in, and men to bury me. I thank you, my lords...but I spit on your pity...I am a knight...I shall die a knight
Steppricon
Novice

House: House Dayne

Postby Sacredmath » Thu May 22, 2014 1:13 pm

Just a quick question:

Just finished listening to the review episode and your discussion of Hot Pie's revelation of Arya being alive, and you thought it might not have much effect, also getting rid of the fake Arya wedding plot wouldn't either. I'm just curious, then, what would be the task Ramsay has for Theon, to impersonate himself? Wasn't that just to authenticate the marriage as a witness at the ceremony? Why else would Ramsay need Reek to be Theon? Maybe I've forgotten...
Sacredmath
Novice

Postby DarrenT » Thu May 22, 2014 1:44 pm

Sacredmath wrote:Just a quick question:

Just finished listening to the review episode and your discussion of Hot Pie's revelation of Arya being alive, and you thought it might not have much effect, also getting rid of the fake Arya wedding plot wouldn't either. I'm just curious, then, what would be the task Ramsay has for Theon, to impersonate himself? Wasn't that just to authenticate the marriage as a witness at the ceremony? Why else would Ramsay need Reek to be Theon? Maybe I've forgotten...

Ramsay needs Reek to "pretend" to be Theon Greyjoy to treat with the Ironborn forces that are holding Moat Cailin and preventing Roose's men from coming back into the North.
DarrenT
Knight of the Forums

Postby Vaxis » Thu May 22, 2014 1:56 pm

Steppricon wrote:Maybe it slipped by me, but has there been any talk of the hangings done by the brotherhood?

Nope, not yet at least. The only person to mention the Brotherhood so far has been Hot Pie, I think.
The snowflakes are melting in your hair.
There are ghosts everywhere. We carry them with us wherever we go.
Vaxis
Hand of the King

House: The House with the Red Door

Postby Steppricon » Thu May 22, 2014 7:13 pm

Vaxis wrote:
Steppricon wrote:Maybe it slipped by me, but has there been any talk of the hangings done by the brotherhood?

Nope, not yet at least. The only person to mention the Brotherhood so far has been Hot Pie, I think.

You would think that with the speed at which news travels across TV westeros that it might have been mentioned by someone by now, which makes me fearful that we may not get UnCat. It's too important I think to leave out, but I'm cautiously optimistic
A hall to die in, and men to bury me. I thank you, my lords...but I spit on your pity...I am a knight...I shall die a knight
Steppricon
Novice

House: House Dayne

Postby Heartsbane » Thu May 22, 2014 7:39 pm

Steppricon wrote:
Vaxis wrote:

You would think that with the speed at which news travels across TV westeros that it might have been mentioned by someone by now, which makes me fearful that we may not get UnCat. It's too important I think to leave out, but I'm cautiously optimistic

I feel pretty confident we'll see UnCat at the season finale, and it will end with Brienne meeting her. I think whether or not that ending will be the cliffhanger Brienne Feast ending will depend on how much HBO bribed/threatened GRRM so they can write it as close to the books as possible.

We know GRRM revealed to the showrunners his endgame plans, so I have no reason to not believe he also went over point by point. Assuming that is, he even knows himself.
Heartsbane
Novice

House: House Hightower

PreviousNext

Return to Season 4