Westerosi armor

Discussion about the upcoming World of Ice and Fire and the GRRMarillion.

Westerosi armor

Postby Rhllorrink » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:21 pm

Has anyone heard if there was Valyrian steel armor? We hear so much about the swords, why not armor?
Another question: if there are dragon bone bows, why not dragon bone armor? Is there dragon scale armor?
Rhllorrink
Novice

House: House Reed

Re: Westerosi armor

Postby Vaxis » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:19 am

Nope, no mentions of Valyrian Steel armor, just weapons. On one hand, the metals characteristic of never dulling is wasted on armor, but the light weight would be very beneficial. The rarity of armor may be either because the metal was too valuable to use on armor, or because armor is simply harder to create.
The snowflakes are melting in your hair.
There are ghosts everywhere. We carry them with us wherever we go.
Vaxis
Hand of the King

House: The House with the Red Door

Postby Rhllorrink » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:23 am

That is a good thought. I have to wonder if there was a powerful people like the Valyrians, who's swords are sold across the world, why wouldn't at least some armor be created. Perhaps if it was created most of it disappeared in the Doom.
Rhllorrink
Novice

House: House Reed

Postby LarsPenry » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:27 am

You would think so, given that it is lightweight and, 'nigh indestructible'. But I do not recall any mention of it. Imagine somebody like the Mountain in full plate in the battlefield. Or better yet a Giant, Mammoth or Elephant...they would be forces of nature.
LarsPenry
Kingsguard

House: House Stark

Postby Azizal » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:52 am

This would be a good item for us to bring up in an episode on Valyrian steel, which we'll surely do some day.

I am guessing there was such a thing as Valyrian steel armor. The elite Valyrians were insanely wealthy, I would think. The forty or so dragonlord families had a monopoly on dragons, and a huge empire. They had untold numbers of slaves who were used in their mines, and thousands of years to build up wealth.

On top of that we know that Valyrians had sold a few blades to Westerosi lords(and thus, probably, elsewhere in the world as well) before the Doom. These were traders who sold the blades, and we are told dragonfire is part of forging(not reforging, which a few like Tobho Mott can do). In other words, the traders and merchants weren't making the blades on their own. While it's possible the traders were selling these on behalf of one or more of the dragonlord families, it seems likely that there was a good amount of it. I suppose the stuff never breaks, so over the thousands of years they could've built up a quite a lot, collectively.
Azizal
Grand Maester

Postby caravaggio2000 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:59 am

I'll have to look it up, but there was one character whose family had armor that was supposed to have magical runes all over it. I don't believe it was valyrian steel though.

Bronze Yohn Royce.
caravaggio2000
Novice

House: House Blackwood

Postby Azizal » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:32 pm

I get the impression that the runic bronze armor is very cool, but not even as good as regular steel. Which stands to reason, since steel >>> bronze. The runes probably aren't magical, though it might be fun if it turned out that they were.

If the magical forces on Planetos wane and wax, and the glass candles have started burning again, that implies that even magical items are impacted by this... situation. So perhaps the return of magic has made the runes magical again. Doubtful, I suppose, but worth consideration.
Azizal
Grand Maester

Postby Phoenix » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:21 pm

The World of Ice and Fire seems to imply that it was mostly weapons - it talks of "the steel of their legendary blades" rather than 'their legendary steel', which would suggest that Valyrian steel was used for weaponry and not for other applications of steel. I guess the properties of Valyrian steel lend itself to sharp blades but not to wearable items? (Pure speculation here, of course).

Do we get any mention of the weight of Valyrian steel? Does any character mention that Valyrian swords are particularly light, or particularly heavy?
Fan: "Why do you keep killing off all the characters I love?!"
George: "Perhaps you love the wrong characters."
Phoenix
Acolyte

House: House Seaworth

Postby Phoenix » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:58 pm

Update: Aegon's crown was made of Valyrian steel, so we have least one example of the steel used to create non-weaponry. But not necessarily armour.
Fan: "Why do you keep killing off all the characters I love?!"
George: "Perhaps you love the wrong characters."
Phoenix
Acolyte

House: House Seaworth

Postby ArristanTheOld » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:43 pm

Phoenix wrote:...Do we get any mention of the weight of Valyrian steel? Does any character mention that Valyrian swords are particularly light, or particularly heavy?

Old thread, sorry, but I found this:
The hilt had been fashioned new for him, adorned with a wolf's-head pommel in pale stone, but the blade itself was Valyrian steel, old and light and deadly sharp.

So we know that Longclaw is said to be light. Seems to confirm it would make good armor plates. I'd make some if I were a Valyrian dragonsmith...
Tobho had learned to work Valyrian steel at the forges of Qohor as a boy. Only a man who knew the spells could take old weapons and forge them anew.

My videos - https://m.youtube.com/#/channel/UCyxrbU ... ENpVGbAjOw
ArristanTheOld
Novice

House: Manwoody

Return to The World of Ice and Fire