[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
History of Westeros • View topic - Alayne

Alayne

Discussion of the various The Winds of Winter sample chapters that have been released or read.

Alayne

Postby AegonVI » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:59 pm

Taking the place of Mercy on GRRM's website is her sister's first chapter from Winds http://www.georgerrmartin.com/excerpt-f ... of-winter/

I forgotten how good Sansa chapters had gotten.
AegonVI
Novice

House:

Re: Alayne

Postby DarrenT » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:28 pm

Cool chapter! Sansa is becoming a player of the game big time but I'm glad to see some of the old Sansa in her as well. Real people don't change overnight and neither does she. She still has doubts and girlish thoughts but makes an effort to think the game before saying something.

The timing of this release is interesting and reminds me of when he released the Mercy chapter. But I think instead of wanting to show the scene in the book before we see it on the show, like with the Mercy chapter, I think he may have released this Alayne chapter now to show that the Sansa storyline in the show is going to be a departure. Or at least he isn't taking Sansa North just yet or in the same way as the show.

Exciting!
DarrenT
Knight of the Forums

House:

Postby WizztheSmith » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:14 am

After reading Ran/Elio's explanation that the controversy in this chapter was regarding Alayne's new sexuality, plus w/o a certain character involved, I have been surprised there are not more posts in the fandom relating to Sandor. It has been noted that there is no sign of hound/dog references in this chapter, and that is certainly a departure from previous books.

To add to that, I found this interesting, regarding a previous Sansa dog/Hound reference.......

'' I will dream a sweet dream, and when I wake there will be dogs barking, women gossiping beside the well, swords ringing in the yard.''

Compared with......

'' Outside the window she could hear the laughter of the washerwomen at the well, the din of steel on steel from the ward where the knights were at their drills. Good sounds.''

So not only is there no mention of Sandor/hounds/dogs, this seems to me another point of note. Sansa's sweet dream has been realised without the dog references.

I gotta say, I was a little disappointed with this. It was one of the things I was looking out for having missed it on first read, and have since posted with some people that helped me gain a greater understanding of that storyline. Any thoughts on the apparent lack of Sandor/dog/Hound quotes/references ?

Oh well, I still enjoyed the chapter immensely ! :)
WizztheSmith
Novice

House:

Postby AegonVI » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:00 am

I've never been a SanSan shipper, but the lack of Sandor, and the mentions of Tyrion, in her thoughts is most odd. Sansa hasn't brought up Tyrion ever, IIRC. Certainly since fleeing the Purple Wedding - others have brought him up, but Sansa totally ignores him unless forced to speak of him (normally to say that nothing had happened).

I guess Ser Lothor Brune has kind of filled up the gruff true knight who protects her role now (and isn't as scary), and she has had time to reflect on looks being worthless, and how Tyrion did try and be nice.

Being free from her tormentors, having friends (or friend - the relationship with Mya is vague) again have allowed her to age up the time that has passed since her father died.

I like it that her thoughts towards Harry are exactly the same as she had towards Joffrey (despite knowing about the bastard), until he opens his stupid mouth and she instantly switches (though at the same time, she knows he's no Joffrey) to disliking him. She's grow up lots, even since the AFFC chapters where she was free from the Queen and became more than a pawn.

Sansa, sadly, seems to have forgotten that Petyr fancies her. The Lemoncake Lance is more than a little creepy, IMO (and GRRM giving Littlefinger the chance to give a subtle answer to the question Randa asked Alayne...)
AegonVI
Novice

House:

Postby Azizal » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:23 am

We've written a bunch of notes on this already in preparation for an episode. It fits the theme of the other Alayne chapters: very subtle.

Definitely enjoy seeing her put her talents to use, and the maturity and savvy she's gaining with experience. She's getting quite good with the witty comebacks.

We're doing research and theorizing on:

- Vale politics
- relating this chapter to others in the timeline
- the tapestries
- Lyn Corbray, Mychel Redfort, Myranda Royce
- House Waynwood, House Royce, others
- Ser Shadrich
- Littlefinger's financial schemes
- no hounds/dogs & why this chapter was considered "controversial"
Azizal
Grand Maester

Postby AegonVI » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:37 pm

AegonVI
Novice

House:

Postby Booze » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:57 pm

There is a major time gap between this chapter and the one at the end of AFFC. I was totally expecting an 'I am Sansa' to Harry at the end of this chapter
Booze
Novice

House:

Postby Azizal » Sun May 03, 2015 1:25 pm

Azizal
Grand Maester

Postby WizztheSmith » Sun May 03, 2015 10:29 pm

WizztheSmith
Novice

House:

Postby SerKnute » Mon May 04, 2015 3:20 am

That was a pretty good chapter, or partial if he's holding out some.

I was puzzled at this paragraph; am I missing some meaning or context here, or is this simply just a typo?

Alayne could not help but shutter. Myranda’s husband had died when he was making love with her. “Those Sistermen who came in yesterday were gallant,” she said, to change the subject. “If you don’t like Ser Ossifer or Ser Uther, marry one of them instead. I thought the youngest one was very handsome.”

Shouldn't that be shudder?
Edd, fetch me a block.
SerKnute
Acolyte

House:

Next

Return to Sample Chapter Discussion