[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
History of Westeros • View topic - Theon I

Theon I

Discussion of the various The Winds of Winter sample chapters that have been released or read.

Theon I

Postby Steppricon » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:31 am

This chapter to me has the most intrigue of the chapters released, all the others are arcs we've already seen coming, but Theon's new plight is genuinely something new
A hall to die in, and men to bury me. I thank you, my lords...but I spit on your pity...I am a knight...I shall die a knight
Steppricon
Novice

House:

Re: Theon I

Postby Azizal » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:20 pm

Stannis is at his best in this chapter. Completely in control, determined, and dealing out one-liners. The Iron Bank was a major turnaround.

As for Theon, it's hard to imagine a way out for him here.
Azizal
Grand Maester

Postby Steppricon » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:19 am

A hall to die in, and men to bury me. I thank you, my lords...but I spit on your pity...I am a knight...I shall die a knight
Steppricon
Novice

House:

Postby sinsonte » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:38 pm

Agree. Theon is condemned to die beneath the Winterfell heart tree while Bran says "DEATH, DEATH TO THE TURNCLOAK WHO SLAYED THOSE MILLER'S CHILDREN"
We're all part of this Song. Martin, nor your Song neiter you will ever die.
sinsonte
Novice

House:

Postby Steppricon » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:48 am

Steppricon
Novice

House:

Postby DarrenT » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:29 pm

I think Theon has to be the one to kill Ramsay before he dies. I think his death will redeem him in some way and killing Ramsay will go a long way towards this.
DarrenT
Knight of the Forums

House:

Postby Blucifer » Fri May 09, 2014 1:05 pm

Personally I don't think Theon will be the one to kill Ramsay, that's too convenient a plot line in terms of GRRM in my opinion. I do think however he will have some agency in the retribution against Ramsay (this is of course we all assume correctly that Stannis is going to beat the Boltons ;) ).
Theons doom is sealed I think, though I can definitely seeing him being one of the arbiters of Ramsays doom in respect to being the information source that Stannis requires to show the north-men the duplicity of the Boltons in regards to the Starks & being an 'insider' eyewitness to the rein of terror that Ramsay has wrought. This could possibly be at Theons trial which I think is a given, or as witnessed by the assembled Lords of the North following the capture of Ramsay and being brought face to face with Stannnis.
Whatever happens I'm sure there will be some suprises along the way.
Blucifer
Novice

House:

Postby Azizal » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:46 am

I do think Stannis would be willing to execute Theon himself. He's known for justice and this is closer to how the Northerners handle things, and he's trying to win them over. A lot of Northern lords would gain some respect for Stannis if they saw him kill Theon Turncloak, murderer of Starks (obviously they all still believe that).

Also, we have precedent of sorts. Davos said he would only accept the finger shortening punishment if Stannis wielded the blade himself. Stannis met that condition, so perhaps he'll be willing again.

I think any information he might want to glean from Theon he can get before killing him. Not sure he needs to keep him alive for anything in particular, but that could be the one thing that keeps him alive longer.
Azizal
Grand Maester

Postby Steppricon » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:44 pm

Steppricon
Novice

House:

Postby andrewking06 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:18 pm

Hi all. New here.

I dont think Theon dies here. I believe his sister will escape with him and bring him back to the Iron Islands to call a new kingsmoot. In Deepwood Motte just before Stannis attacked, Asha and Botley were talking about Kingsmoot history and Botley mentions that one time a 2nd Kingsmoot was held due to a rightful claimant not being present at the first one. The other lords were so sick of the current King they were more than happy to welcome the legal chance to get rid of him and pick a new king. Sounds a lot like the current situation since Theon is the rightful heir to the throne and most likely the Iron born will not be happy with Euron making big promises that will take a long time to pay off. Winter is almost here and life on the Iron Islands will be all about living day to day and not about the long game of winning the Iron Throne and dragons. I think Asha would settle for anyone other than Euron as King and we all know Theon would be an incredible long shot considering his current state and history. However, I think she hopes that she can install Theon in the Seastone Chair and then be the power behind the throne. This was the deal she offered to Victarion before the Kingsmoot so I think it makes sense that it would still be her move.

One deviation from my prediction is her manner of leaving Stannis. Rather than escape she may cut a deal with Stannis. A deal where in return for Theon and their leaving that she will pull off her 2nd Kingsmoot, and bend the knee to Stannis or in the event of his death, his daughter. This is a big stretch of course, but so is her escaping with Theon.
andrewking06
Novice

House:

Next

Return to Sample Chapter Discussion